Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patience51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2013, 09:39 PM
    How to restore hp laptop to factory settings hacker and restore manager freezes
    HI,
    I am trying to restore a HP Compaq laptop to its factory settings. Every time I go to Restore Manager the screen freezes and it won't let me select "System Recovery" or ANYTHING at all. How can I restore with this problem occurring and not letting me choose this option of restoration ? I started by pressing esc to go to recovery and I have also tried by pressing F11 and still Restore Manager freezes when it comes up. Is there any other way to restore this laptop to factory settings ? I just restored it 2 days ago to factory settings and it worked just fine, but then I downloaded ZoneAlarm and I guess I downloaded the wrong one and got a hacker in my computer and now it won't let me do anything. When I open my search engine my CPU's go to 100 and stays there. I deleted ZoneAlarm but it won't let me delete it completely. It is stopping me from using my PC. And now it won't let me use Restore Manager either. It has taken over my entire PC. What can I do to either restore this PC or get ZoneAlarm out? I found the hacker and deleted him but every time I delete him he shows right back up in my search engine again as soon as I delete him, under a different number. I'm stumped. And by the way, I have no restore disc. Thanks you very much !
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Jun 17, 2013, 01:53 AM
    If F11 at startup does not work it might be infected by a virus or the partition might be corrupt.
    We are going to try 3 things:
    Firslty we are going to try the HP restore from within Windows then
    We will check error and try recovering from boot again then
    We are going to create HP recovery DVD's from within Windows.

HP restore from within Windows

1 - Go to Start -> App Programs -> HP -> Recovery Manager
    2 - When it restarts it will open the HP Recovery Manager.
    3 - IMPORTANT, do not select the Windows Recovery from the menu. Select System Restore or minimized system restore.
    4 - Also do not select the option to keep personal files.

If the system recovery menu still freezes them do the following:

1 - Start your computer.
    2 - Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
    3 - Restore the system to the earliest point.
    4 - After restore or if the restore fails check the hard drive for errors by doing the following:
    4.1 - Start windows, click start and just above start you will see a search box saying
    "search programs and files", type CMD in the box. You will see cmd.exe above.
    4.2 - Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator"
    4.3 - A black screen will open up. In this windows type:
    Chkdsk d: /F, and wait for completion
    Chkdsk e: /F, and wait for completion
    Chkdsk f: /F, and wait for completion (If error occors, ignore)
    Now chkdsk c: /F, the system will ask if you want to schedule this scan, selet Y end
    Press enter. Restart and it should scan Drive C:
    4.3 - Now try running the Recovery Manager from boot again by:
    Shuting Down, Press the power button and imidiatly and repatadly
    Press the "F11" key.

Creating Recovery disks (DVDs)

1 - Go to Start -> App Programs -> HP -> Recovery Manager
    2 - Select Recovery Media Creation.
    3 - Recovery Media Creation might also be a separate Icon located somewhere
    In the HP folder in the Strat Menu.
    4 - You will need 2 or 3 blank DVDs.
    5 - After the disk have been created, insert the first DVD and shut down.
    6 - Press the poweer button and keep pressing the F9 key.
    7 - In the boot menu select boot from CD.
    8 - Follow the instruction and it should recover the syste the factory state.

If this still doesn't work you will have to order a set of recovery dvd's from HP.
    Better yet, if you know someone with a Windows 7 just reload it. Remember if you use someone else's win 7 disk you will loose your recovery partition and HP Software and Drivers.

PS: You can alsways backup the original HP Software and Drivers by just backing up the SWSetup folder on C: Drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restore to factory settings [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get there on my computer

How do I restore my laptop to factory settings? [ 0 Answers ]

How do I restore my Asus see netbook to factory settings without a cd?

What happens when I restore my laptop to factory settings? [ 3 Answers ]

Currently I have everything backed up that I need to that is on my Toshiba laptop. I want to delete all the programs that I have installed on the laptop since I bought it, due to lack of memory left. But I am not sure of which programs I really need. So I thought I would restore it to the factory...

Restore laptop to factory settings? [ 1 Answers ]

[ as a beginner pressed wrong tabs and miniturised all my programs now cannot read instructions as shown how do I undo this grave error

How do I restore factory settings? [ 2 Answers ]

I have just brought an Acer laptop second hand, I turned it on and it came up with login details for some one else but I don't know the password. How do I restore the factory settings with out the disc?

View more questions Search