Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Firefox Vs. Internet Explorer
    So I've been thinking of getting that Firefox browser, I'm just not sure of what the if I should get it or not.

Sure the website says they're all that and more but what do the people say about it? I mean is it as good as the website says, or is there anything wrong with it and whatnot.

What are your opinons about Firefox?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 29, 2005, 08:08 PM
    I've been using Firefox since version 0.6 (back when it was called Phoenix). Even then it was excellent, now it has just gotten better.

The Mozilla developers have a much higher emphasis on security and web standards than Microsoft. They would never implement anything as insecure as ActiveX in their browser.

On another front, Firefox has an incredible ability to block advertisements. Pop-ups are simply no longer an issue. I have also eliminated most banner/flash ads with this nice trick.

Not to mention the browser is incredibly flexible. You can add new modules to it from here and other sources to add some interesting functionality.

Give it a try. You won't regret it...

~psi42
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 30, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Firefox vs Internet Explorer
    Firstly,to be fair,visit http://www.active-x.com/articles/whatis.htm and read up on Microsoft's Active X control.

You'l see all the benefits outlined in the review.However,Active X has long been seen as an open invitation to 'hackers' to upset the status quo,by tampering with the code.

Firefox does not have Active X code to worry about,as it is a Microsoft 'input'.True,Microsoft will argue that the web 'benefits' because of Active X.Yet I personally beg to differ.If I visit a web page that lacks pop-ups,animations,and ads telling me 'zero',but gives me the info that I want to see without those intrusions,then so be it.

Don't just take my word for Firefox,ask others on the forum for their opinions as well.You won't regret it.

Best wishes,
    Nez. :)

Postcript:

If you do install Firefox,just use it as your main browser.Normally you have to use I.E. to update your PC security software from Microsoft,but just turn on auto updates,and unless you encounter total catastrophe,don't go there again.

Please do not visit 'certain' sites which say you can uninstall I.E. because you won't get auto updates from Microsoft if you do.Just leave well alone.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Jan 30, 2005, 02:41 PM
    Firefox is all that they say it is and more, but it is not yet compatible with all programs. A lot of financial institutions do not yet recognize Firefox.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 2, 2005, 06:24 PM
    Both
    I use Firefox, for 90% of my Internet browsing, Explorer for the other 10%, until Firefox is 100% compatible with everything, you still need to keep the other one around, but I hardly use it, mostly Firefox. :D
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
    I DL'd Firefox, just the basic window browser with no add ons or anything still reading up on it but I do like the tab thing. Makes things a lot easier for surf'n anyhow :)
    It's good to see that Firefox is pretty popular, meaning that I got a good response. I'll probably go Firefox way when IE doesn't cut it anymore lol.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer or moxilla Firefox [ 11 Answers ]

Any opinion which is better IE or Firefox? I'm currently using the IE but plan to use the Firefox too... what's the difference? Thanks

Internet explorer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my internet explorer browser every time I'm on a web page and I click on the internet explorer icon to bring up a new internet explorer the first page keep changing ,I'm using windows xp this is the fist time I'm seeing this how can I fix it please .thanks in advance

Internet Explorer [ 4 Answers ]

When ever I try to open a site such as Yahoo,Google I get a popup window that ask me what to use to open it with,When In click on IE and OK it will open. How do I get it to open all the time without doing this extra. Its something new? :confused:

Pop-ups in Internet Explorer [ 6 Answers ]

I'm using Spybot to remove adware and spyware, but I'm still getting a few popups with Internet Explorer (specifically noticed when I try and access Yahoo or Google) which I don't using Netscape. What more can I do to end all the popups in Internet explorer?

Internet Explorer 6. [ 6 Answers ]

I am using Windows XP and have developed a problem with my IE. When I first log on to internet my home page sometimes locks up or it will turn off IE and send me back to desktop. This does not happen all the time. Some time I can change web pages then without warning my IE will turn off and I am...

View more questions Search