Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rlong25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
    Garage door sensor light not working
    I have a Craftsman Garage Door Opener. SOMEtimes the unit doesn't not close the door(when the green light is off). Other times the unit works like normal. In other words, this problem is intermittent.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2013, 01:43 AM
    Hi Rlong and welcome, check the wiring to the sensor and make sure it is lined up proper. Good luck

May 18, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Hi. Thank you fro your VERY quick reply! I did make sure the sensors are lined up, AND I checked the wiring as best I could. Our door works 97 % of the time. It is usually, obviously, when one is in a hurry that the door will not go down. I'm wondering if it is a "Mother Board thing??" This is definitely Intermittent!!
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
    Hi again Rlong, it's not likely the logic board. Describe what the door is doing when it fails, also post the model of your opener. Have you preformed a force test? Is the door balanced properly?

May 18, 2013, 12:12 PM
    When the door won't go down, the sensor green light is completely out/blank/off. When the green light is lit, the door will go down like normal. I'm not sure what a "force test" is... I would have to say, the door could probably use a balancing. The Craftsman is Model #139.53975SRT1.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
    Hi again, page 21 of your manual will more than likely solve your problem, definitely read and follow that before buying a logic board. Also make sure the green light sensor is not in direct sunlight, that can cause your problem. Here's a link if you need the manual.

Craftsman Garage Door Opener Owner's Manual | ManualsOnline.com

May 18, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Hello. I appreciate ALL your time!! I read my Manual. This door opener was installed professionally by Sears sub-contractor years ago. This unit/door has worked fine all these yrs. NOTHING has changed. This is QUITE annoying!! Again - because it occurs typically when one is in a hurry, & also - if it's broken, it should be BROKEN!! Not disable intermittently. Tx again for ALL your time! PS - When I find out WHAT is the solution, I will let you know.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Ok on the update, I would check closely the wiring going to the sensors, after years of use they can become loose or the insulation can be damaged, especially at the staples. Good luck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Green light off (on receiving sensor) means light beam is broken (means something is in the door way) or sensors are misaligned. Orange light off on transmitting sensor means no power to sensor.

If problem is intermittent means one or both sensors are not properly secured and are moving out of alignment because of vibration of door going up and down.

All as parttime said.
    jessicae03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 21, 2013, 05:19 AM
    Light sensor can fail due to many reason. Usually the life span of a light sensor is very less. What you can do is try out some repair steps shown in the video www.YouTube.com/watch?v=qfuZOZ1hHTk‎ and if it doesn't work call your storage cabinet provider so that he may be able to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door light blinks with sensor lights aligned and no apparent obstructions [ 10 Answers ]

My garage door light blinks when trying to close it with the remote or wall buttons. The LED lights on the sensors are on which I believe indicates they are aligned. Even with the garage door disengaged, the opened moves only moves a few inches before the opener lights flash and it backs up to...

Craftsman Garage Door Opener light not working after new door installed [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Model 139.18054 Garage Door Opener and the light has been working since it was (professionally) installed 7 or so years ago and up to last Monday when I had a new garage door installed. The installer said they did not do any thing to the unit except attach new safety sensors and...

The garage door light sensor not working. [ 3 Answers ]

I have garage door that have sensor, it will authomatic turn off the light from the motor when no activity and when I walk in the path the light will come on but now it not working what wrong? I did look at the sensor, one side have green light the other have orange, it the sensor went bad? I...

Garage Door Sensor Help [ 2 Answers ]

My garage door had been working fine until about a week or 2 ago, when it wouldn't close as I was leaving. I've been having to open and close it by hand. I checked the sensors, cleaned them off, made sure nothing was blocking them and right after doing so the garage door went down a lot farther...

Bypassing the garage door photo sensor [ 1 Answers ]

My laser light is broken on my garage door opener. I have to hold the wried button until the door completely shuts or it automatically reopens. It opens correctly with the remote but will not close. My Question - can the laser be disconnected so the door will function without holding the button for...

View more questions Search