Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sumeer09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2013, 05:00 AM
    Torque and Power for selection of a motor to rotate a ground tracking system
    Hi, I am a 4th year mechanical engineering student, I am currently designing a satellite tracking system. I require asisstance on with the selection of a motor. Im using a fly wheel pinion set to rotate my system and my system weighs approx. 100 kg. how do I go about calculating the torque of the system and power and selecting an apporpiate motor?

Any asisstance will be much appreciated
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2013, 05:53 AM
    You'll need an estimate of the static and kinetic friction of the bearings in the track system. Then the torque required comes from the equations you know and love regarding the torque required to overcome friction () and to accelerate or decelerate the system in rotation ().

May 17, 2013, 06:18 AM
    How I estimate the kinetic and static friction on the bearings and how do I obtain the angular accelaration? Also what force is that in the torque equation?
    Expert

May 17, 2013, 07:23 AM
    The angular acceleration is something you need to decide on, based on how quickly do you want the antenna array to rotate. It takes more torque to get it to accelerate quickly than to accelerate slowly.

The force in the equation is friction force times the moment arm of the friction force from the axis of rotation. You may be able to estimate the static and dynamic coefficients of friction from a mock-up or by measuring friction of similar large rotating mechanisms.

May 17, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Thank you so much ebaine you've been a big help, so I guessing that after I calculate the torque required by system, I use the gear ratio between the flywheel and starter gear and calculate the torque need from the motor?
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumeer09 View Post
    Thank you so much ebaine youve been a big help, so i guessing that after i calculate the torque required by system, i use the gear ratio between the flywheel and starter gear and calculate the torque need from the motor?
    The gear set matches the speed of the motor (probably in the range of several hunderd RPM) to the desired speed of the antenna (perhaps 5 RPM or so). Once you have the values for the torque needed for the antenna as described previously and the gear ratio, the torque needed from the motor can be found from:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Torque and power required to rotate a satellite dish [ 1 Answers ]

I am constructing a reflector receptacle from a 20 by 22 inch satellite dish with curved mirrors. My goal is to track the sun and collect optimal energy. The Dish itself weighs 20 lbs, but once my team and I add the solar panel mount we guessed the total weight will increase to about 25-28 lbs....

How much DC motor power I need to rotate two rollers [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to figure out the way to estimate the power, torque, and rpm for 12v-24v DC motor that I want to purchase to rotate two rubber rollers facing each other. The rollers used to pull weed plants from the soil. The rollers dimensions are 12 in length and 2.5 in diameter each. Thanks!

Ceiling fan has power at motor but fan does not rotate [ 1 Answers ]

Hampton Bay ceiling fan when checked has power at motor but fan does not rotate. The blade is free turning and is not binding.

Torque required to rotate 10 lb-ft? [ 1 Answers ]

Assembly has a 20:1 gear reducer and a 36 tooth and 18 tooth sprocket arrangement.

Power or torque of 12v dc motor 1400rpm [ 2 Answers ]

I have A 12v dc motor of 1400 rpm. I want to calculate its power or torqe. I do not know current consumption .it derives belt pully system (velocity ratio- 2)and generates net output 180 joule sir please let me know the result or formula to calculates its power or torque .may I calculate...

View more questions Search