Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chns91 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Factors affecting supply curve
    Lets suppose that a firm can produce either A or B. Will an increase in the profitability of A lead to an increase in the supply of A? Or would it lead to a decrease/increase in the supply of B?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Let's suppose you post your answer and reasoning and "we" see if it's right?

May 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Let's suppose you post your answer and reasoning and "we" see if it's right?
    Okay then. I would answer that it leads to an increase in the supply of A and this is because greater profitability will encourage investment, therefore it will shift the supply curve outwards.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

May 17, 2013, 04:48 AM
    Both your answer and your rationale are correct, as profitability is one of the fundamental drivers of supply.

The second part of the question, though, deserves a little thought. For a firm already operating at/near full capacity, the tradeoff to ramping up production of A is a reduction of B output, at least in the short run.

If you have to pick exactly one of the two options on either side of the word "or", then stick with your "increase of A supply" answer. Just be aware that both of the conditions might hold true simultaneously; it's unfortunate the question's author neglected to clarify the full-capacity and the short- / long-run issues.

May 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    Both your answer and your rationale are correct, as profitability is one of the fundamental drivers of supply.

The second part of the question, though, deserves a little thought. For a firm already operating at/near full capacity, the tradeoff to ramping up production of A is a reduction of B output, at least in the short run.

If you have to pick exactly one of the two options on either side of the word "or", then stick with your "increase of A supply" answer. Just be aware that both of the conditions might hold true simultaneously; it's unfortunate the question's author neglected to clarify the full-capacity and the short- / long-run issues.
    Thank you for the reply, it was very clear! This is what I originally thought too, but this question comes from a multiple choice exam question and I just wasn't sure of the answer. That is why I asked here, since I was between these 2 possible answers.

Thank you again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

University (amongst other factors) affecting relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I will try and describe this as best as possible. I sometimes struggle. I am incredibly terrible at making decisions. I drag it out for so long because I just cannot decide, at all, and this stupid flaw of mine is causing hell right now. For the sakes of background information: Me: 20...

Factors affecting h- bonding? [ 1 Answers ]

On what factors does hydrogen bonding depends & why.explain with suitable Reason?

Explain the investment demand curve n its factors. [ 2 Answers ]

Explain the investment demand curve and also explain the factors which r responsible for shift?

View more questions Search