Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Redefine marriage and make it only church sanctioned. Civil unions would be non-religious.

Why can't a civil union (non-religious union between two adults) confer the same rights and privileges as marriage (church-sanctioned union between two adults) does?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 02:28 PM
    State and federal tax laws conflict for same-sex couples

Before DOMA was struck down civil unions were not recognized as far as filing joint federal returns. Separate was not equal in this area of the federal law and could never be equal. Does this open the door for other marriage unions? I don't know, but people have already been practicing there preference. Legal or not. The states already have their own rules regulating marriage, and some still do not allow for gay marriage nor recognize them, so the superior protected class still has no rights but can now file a federal return.

The whole notion of anything goes and protected classes and superior rights smacks in the face of equality, and justifies denying federal rights to a class of people while another class of the more traditional citizens have enjoyed superior right than other's for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Redefine marriage and make it only church sanctioned. Civil unions would be non-religious.

Why can't a civil union (non-religious union between two adults) confer the exact same rights and privileges as marriage (church-sanctioned union between two adults) does?
    Why can't gay people use the term marriage and why should a definition be the exclusive domain of religion?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    State and federal tax laws conflict for same-sex couples

Before DOMA was struck down civil unions were not recognized as far as filing joint federal returns. Separate was not equal in this area of the federal law and could never be equal. Does this open the door for other marriage unions? I don't know, but people have already been practicing there preference. Legal or not. The states already have their own rules regulating marriage, and some still do not allow for gay marriage nor recognize them, so the superior protected class still has no rights but can now file a federal return.

The whole notion of anything goes and protected classes and superior rights smacks in the face of equality, and justifies denying federal rights to a class of people while another class of the more traditional citizens have enjoyed superior right than other's for centuries.

Why can't gay people use the term marriage and why should a definition be the exclusive domain of religion?
    The problem with the civil unions could have been taken to the next step and been recognized if that were the plan. But the plan was never to have the same rights. It was to appear "normal". Anything short of calling it marriage and opening an avenue to attatck churches is the true message. Why couldn't civil unions have been elevated through the existing system and left the definition of marriage alone? They have huge advocacy in political circles. So why the need to destroy one in favor of another and open a pandoras box?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:20 PM
    You seem to keep going back to objecting that gay people calling their unions marriages. I will ask why civil unions weren't elevated to the same federal status of marriages as a civil union between a male and female has the same consequences as a gay civil union does it not?

I don't think polygamy, and marrying a minor is even at the same level as gay marriage is given how long it took gays to arrive at this stage and have a ways to go. Marriage as an exclusive domain of man and woman is barely half a success in America, so to think gays will be any more successful is a stretch I think and hopeful at best. Besides fear that it leads to even more uncomfortable stuff for religious types.

I mean what do you expect when married filing jointly is a cash cow for couples even though for straight people it's a temporary arrangement and any shack for an alternative. Still waiting for an explanation that makes gay marriage superior to straight marriage. Besides the fear of religious people that more people they are uncomfortable with get a shot at the cash cow of federal benefits and taxes.

Big difference between religious beliefs, and economic opportunity and options. And marriage is more than JUST a religious institution as far as the secular government is concerned.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 05:14 PM
    I was trying to make those other guys here happy.

How about "religious marriage" and "civil marriage" as terms to use?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 07:35 PM

Still waiting for an explanation that makes gay marriage superior to straight marriage. Besides the fear of religious people that more people they are uncomfortable with get a shot at the cash cow of federal benefits and taxes.

Big difference between religious beliefs, and economic opportunity and options. And marriage is more than JUST a religious institution as far as the secular government is concerned.
    I had never said it was a superior marriage for gays to be married. I said that a superior right was inposed in the decision. Opening the pandoras box.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 07:43 PM
    I don't think polygamy, and marrying a minor is even at the same level as gay marriage is given how long it took gays to arrive at this stage and have a ways to go. Marriage as an exclusive domain of man and woman is barely half a success in America, so to think gays will be any more successful is a stretch I think and hopeful at best. Besides fear that it leads to even more uncomfortable stuff for religious types.
    In a span of less then 30 years there has been many changes and a lifestyle has moved into a protected class. Its not much of a leap that the next wave of "I want rights too" is coming down the pike. Why should it in your opinion be illegal for anyone to marry based on the decision that knocked out DOMA ?

Ref: LGBT social movements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1987–present[edit]

Some historians posit that a new era of the gay rights movement began in the 1980s with the emergence of AIDS, which decimated the leadership and shifted the focus for many.[15] This era saw a resurgence of militancy with direct action groups like AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), formed in 1987, as well as its offshoots Queer Nation (1990) and the Lesbian Avengers (1992). Some younger activists, seeing gay and lesbian as increasingly normative and politically conservative, began using queer as a defiant statement of all sexual minorities and gender variant people—just as the earlier liberationists had done with gay. Less confrontational terms that attempt to reunite the interests of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people also became prominent, including various acronyms like LGBT, LGBTQ, and LGBTI, where the Q and I stand for queer or questioning and intersex, respectively.

On June 24, 1994, first Gay Pride march was performed in Asia in the Philippines. In the Middle East, LGBT organizations remain illegal, and LGBT rights activists face extreme opposition from the state.[citation needed] The 1990s also saw the emergence of many LGBT youth movements and organizations such as LGBT youth centers, gay-straight alliances in high schools, and youth-specific activism, such as the National Day of Silence. Colleges also became places of LGBT activism and support for activists and LGBT people in general, with many colleges opening LGBT centers.[32][dead link]
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Hello dad:
    Why should it in your opinion be illegal for anyone to marry based on the decision that knocked out DOMA ?
    It isn't. Why do you believe that adults shouldn't be able to make those decisions for themselves?

Before we get all Bill O'Reilly here, keep in mind that dogs and children can't enter into contracts.

Excon
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello dad:
    It isn't. Why do you believe that adults shouldn't be able to make those decisions for themselves?

Before we get all Bill O'Reilly here, keep in mind that dogs and children can't enter into contracts.

excon
    Actually your only partially right. Dogs can't but under certain circumstances children can. If a child were to have a child then they are the legal parent and can sign contracts and make medical decisions even though they are below the age of emancipation. Also there could be an argument made that by not allow a child to marry that is age based discrimination. When you open pandoras box there is no end to what may come of it.

Also in the case of polygamy then adults are involved and it is still illegal. My point being that this goes much further when you remove the definition and leave it open to opinion.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:21 AM
    When you open pandoras box there is no end to what may come of it.
    Not for 'reasonable people" which is the legal term oft used. It seems to be exclusively the rightys that bring up these "marry your horse" or "marry a child" arguments, why is that?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:22 AM
    I've already pointed out that Polygamists are happy with the DOMA ruling and is easy to see why.

Ask Me Help Desk - View Single Post - Big week for SCOTUS

You guys fought for this and said there would be no slippery slope, called us silly for thinking gay marriage might open the door to other arrangements. I think a foot just got in the door.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Not for 'reasonable people" which is the legal term oft used. It seems to be exclusively the rightys that bring up these "marry your horse" or "marry a child" arguments, why is that?
    See above. When you make the definition of something fluid it can mean anything.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:27 AM
    there would be no slippery slope
    There isn't. Nothing has changed concerning polygamy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:45 AM
    Yet. I believe I said "a foot in the door." cdad said "Pandora box." Camel's nose under the tent. Take your pick, if it's no longer one man and one woman the possibilities are endless by the same legal argument.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:47 AM
    See my post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ml#post3499470
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

if it's no longer one man and one woman the possibilities are endless by the same legal argument.
    I see polygamy possible, but not man and dog.. Does a multiple marriage hurt your marriage like gay marriage did?

Ex
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:15 AM
    If two men and two women can mary so can a man and a dog.. or a horse... or his TV.

If you can't legally define marriage.. you can't legally deny that from happening.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:23 AM
    If two men and two women can mary so can a man and a dog.. or a horse... or his TV.

If you can't legally define marriage.. you can't legally deny that from happening.
    Thanks for proving my point. LOL!
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

I see polygamy possible, but not man and dog.. Does a multiple marriage hurt your marriage like gay marriage did?

ex
    And it begins.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    See my arguments above. Ex doesn't seem to think there is anything unreasonable about polygamy, he's using the same argument he did for gay marriage so take it up with him, he just made my point for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Scandal [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of services or training do you think Toyota should give to the customers to gain back its reputation after the scandal occurred?

The real mortgage scandal [ 14 Answers ]

I read something on this a while back and finally found another column on it thanks to Sweetness & Light... And so what are the contenders' solutions to this crisis, brought on in the name of fairness, equality and other warm and fuzzy nonsense? Hillary wants a moratorium on...

Whoops, *another* Republican caught in sex scandal [ 6 Answers ]

Wash. legislator resigns over gay sex scandal | KTVB.COM | Regional News | Boise, Idaho News, Weather, Sports & Traffic This is happening with alarming regularity.

Protein bar scandal? [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard some talk about protein bars and how more than half of them LIE about the suppliment facts of their bar such as amount of fat, sat fat and other facts. Does anyone know any "trustworthy" protein bars out there that can assure me I am getting what I think I bought?

View more questions Search