Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valsmith59 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 11:56 AM
    On tourist visa from u.s. to u.k. Stayed 6 months want to return .
    I stayed in u.k. For 6 months on tourist visa. Want to return to visit boyfriend but not sure if I will have difficulties at border. I know I need to stay out for 6 months since I was there for 6 months. My concern is they will think I am trying to be a back door immigrant. My intentions are to only visit him. Do I need proof of my ties in the u.s. Do I bring proof with me? How long should I ask for when I arrive there? I am afraid that I will be denied and then red flagged. I tried to get information from British site but no information is available on boyfriend with no intentions on getting married. Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
    Tourist Visa allows you to ONLY be the UK for 6 out of 12 months... intentions don't matter, ties don't matter. EIther stay out or apply for the proper VISA or you will be redflagged... Because they do know when you enter and leave the country. YOu remember passport control? Between that and Flight logs from airlines they know when you come and go... and if you didn't leave.

Violating them will screw up your chances for actually getting a different one if you try.

May 15, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Boyfriend that is a U.K. citizen was denied entry to U.S.
    My boyfriend was traveling with me. He is a U.K. Citizen and I am a U.S. Citizen. He was flagged immediately when he said he was traveling with me. First they wanted to prove we were going to get married in the states but in the end they denied him due to no residence in u.k. What should he have with him when he returns if he's reissued a tourist visa?

May 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Tourist Visa allows you to ONLY be the UK for 6 out of 12 months....intentions don't matter, ties don't matter. EIther stay out or apply for the proper VISA or you will be redflagged...Because they do know when you enter and leave the country. YOu remember passport control? Between that and Flight logs from airlines they kno when you come and go...and if you didn't leave.

Violating them will screw up your chances for actually getting a different one if you try.
    Thank you for your answer. I made sure I didn't over stay. So now that I am in the U.S. I need to stay out of the U.K. For 6 months. I don't believe there is a different visa I qualify for. I haven't known him or lived with him for two years for the partner visa. When I went to Paris for one day the border officers told me I can only stay for two weeks more so he stamped my passport with a date and I left on that date. I just want to make sure I am not denied after I go back after I have been in the states for 6 months.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
    You are aware getting married here doesn't grant him any legal right to stay here much less remain here? No matter what your citizenship is.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valsmith59 View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I made sure I didn't over stay. So now that I am in the U.S. I need to stay out of the U.K. For 6 months. I don't believe there is a different visa I qualify for. I haven't known him or lived with him for two years for the partner visa. When I went to Paris for one day the border officers told me I can only stay for two weeks more so he stamped my passport with a date and I left on that date. I just want to make sure I am not denied after I go back after I have been in the states for 6 months.
    Just follow the rules to the letter... as they do track these things in computer databases... and they can use any violation as a reson to deny you future VIsas or even entry at all.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
    You have another thread where its clear you are trying to get around the law.. either here in the USA or the UK... when you see both threads together.

I thought it was familiar...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mobile...-s-749058.html

Getting married appears to be a shortcut around the laws to you... but the fact is it isn't in either country. In fact it would only complicate things beyond what you can imagine.

Immigration laws have been changed in most countries due to people abusing the old laws.

Speaking as someone who actually does have the legal right to live and work in both the USA and the EU. And has for 22 years.

May 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
    You are aware getting married here doesn't grant him any legal right to stay here much less remain here? No matter what your citizenship is.
    Thank you for your answer.
    He only wanted to stay in the states for 3 months and return to the U.K. No marriage. They assumed that. They told him he was being returned because he didn't have $100.00 dollars cash on him, memorabilia in his suite case and no proof of residence in u.k. They were determined to return him and never gave him his I-877 sworn statement that is required for a reissue of a tourist visa. I just need to know what he needs when he tries to return.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
    They don't believe he has any intention of leaving... and from your other thread... I think that was actually both your intentions as well.

Seriously... they have a sixth sense about these things because they deal with them so often..

May 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
    You have another thread where its clear you are trying to get around the law..either here in the USA or the UK.....when you see both threads together.

I thought it was familiar....
    Thank you for your opinion but I have no intention on breaking any laws. Have a great day.
    No marriage. Just want to be able to visit each other.

Getting married appears to be a shortcut around the laws to you...but the fact is it isn't in either country. In fact it would only complicate things beyond what you can imagine.
    Marriage is out of the question, that is NOT what I am asking advice about. I believe I need the u.s. embassy to answer my question since I am a u.s. citizen with rights. Thank you

May 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
    They don't believe he has any intention of leaving.....and from your other thread...I think that was actually both your intentions as well.

Seriously....they have a sixth sense about these things because they deal with them so often..
    It's the way they are trained to profil, they see thousands of people a day and hear the same stories over and over again so they assume you are no different. In my case they are not right. My boyfriend loves his country and only came to the states as a tourist spending money that our country needs from tourism so the economy gets better . Innocent people like me and my boyfriend are violated due to all the people that lie to get in to countries. I have the right to have a relationship with a man from a different country. I was married to a immigrant for 18 years that became a citizen. I got on this site for help not to be attacked. Have a great day.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Marriage is out of the question, that is NOT what I am asking advice about. I believe I need the u.s. embassy to answer my question since I am a u.s. citizen with rights. Thank you
    Being a us citizen "with rights" gets you no where travelling in EU without the proper visas. They don't care that you are a us citizen with rights.

May 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Being a us citizen "with rights" gets you no where travelling in EU without the proper visas. They don't care that you are a us citizen with rights.
    What kind of visa do I need if I have a boyfriend in the u.k. And want a relationship without marriage?
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
    You have very few rights outside the US as a US citizen... your rights in another country are ONLY what they grant you... nothing more.

For YOU to go to the UK (I assume England) you would have to apply with the British Embassy in the USA. The US embassy doesn't issue VISAs for other countries to Americans...

And for others reading this thread... refer to their other thread for the rest of the story...

Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
    It's the way they are trained to profil, they see thousands of people a day and hear the same stories over and over again so they assume you are no different. In my case they are not right. My boyfriend loves his country and only came to the states as a tourist spending money that our country needs from tourism so the economy gets better . Innocent people like me and my boyfriend are violated due to all the people that lie to get in to countries. I have the right to have a relationship with a man from a different country. I was married to a immigrant for 18 years that became a citizen. I got on this site for help not to be attacked. Have a great day.
    Gee... Don;t like it when you get caught trying to be deceptive... do you?

You have the right to have a relationship with a foreigner... OVER THE INTERNET.

They have no implicit RIGHT to be here just because YOU want them to be... getting married to them doesn't change that.

And before you get cheeky... My wife is a EU citizen as well as a US Citizen... I have residency rights in the EU myself and am a US Citizen, We have a Condo in Europe where I am going to shortly myself to spend some time at... and I know far more than you do about how difficult it would be to get them legal... because unlike you... I've actually done this. Its very expensive... and its very time consuming... and its not going to happen if neither of you are holding a foll time job.

He can't do it because he has no UK residence... therefore how can he hold a UK job... you can't have a part time job if you are going to be spending 6 months here... and 6 months there so you won't qualify as a sponsor.

And even if you get married... and it doesn't matter WHERE you get married... they might still NEVER give him a VISA... and its possible YOU will never get one in the UK.

Funny how when you see BOTH your threads it totally changes the context of the questions. Because they won't let you live there... and they already turned him away from our border.

For others reading this thread and wondering what I'm talking about... see their other thread at..

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/immigr...rn-749051.html

EDIT: The two separate threads I referred to have been combined into one.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2013, 04:31 AM
    There is no way the OP can carry on a relationship with someone living in UK unless she applies for permanent residency and moves there. OP has already had one six months visa; you just can't keep on getting visas to visit time after time. There is no 'back door' to visiting the UK.

I suggest, however, OP contacts the UK Embassy where she lives (US Embassy means nothing in this instance); she must be honest about her intentions.

I must ask, though, why does your b/f not have a permanent address in UK; I think you mentioned that in a previious post?

My son is CDN and US citizen living and working in Germany; his working visa ran out, so the only option was applying for permanent residency and they don't make it easy to accomplish, luckily he is fluent in German, if not, they would have refused him residency. The same applies for many EU countries now whereby a permament address, fluency and a job are pre-requisites for residency status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a way to change a permanent Residence for a regular visa or tourist visa? [ 0 Answers ]

Is there a way to change a permanent Residence for a regular visa or tourist visa?

Is there a way to change a permanent Residence for a regular visa or tourist visa? [ 0 Answers ]

Is there any way to change my permanent Resident Visa to the united states to just a tourist visa and how much would it be and what steps I need to take?

Tax Return staying More than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA more than 6 months and less than 12 months (1 Year) then I will get the...

Tax Return staying less than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA less than 6 months then I will get the money that I paid for Taxes please...

Tax Return staying less than 6 months thought L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA less than 6 months then I will...

View more questions Search