Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuzzr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
    Spousal living rights pertaining to rights of survivor ship deed in Florida
    My wife has her son on the deed to her house, written as joint tenants with rights of survivor ship. What happens if my wife passes away, Do I have any rights as to continuing to live in the house. Her son has refused to remove his name from the deed. Where do I stand ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2013, 06:48 PM
    She dies, it's his house to do with as he wishes.

You have no right to the house.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 14, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Your name is not on the deed at all? If not, then, if your wife passes away before you, her son is going to own 100% of the house and you will have no right to live there except with his permission.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Your name is not on the deed at all? If not, then, if your wife passes away before you, her son is going to own 100% of the house and you will have no right to live there except with his permission.
    Not quite true.

"2012 Florida Statutes

732.2035 Property entering into elective estate.—Except as provided in s. 732.2045, the elective estate consists of the sum of the values as determined under s. 732.2055 of the following property interests:
    (1) The decedent's probate estate.

(2) The decedent's ownership interest in accounts or securities registered in “Pay On Death,” “Transfer On Death,” “In Trust For,” or coownership with right of survivorship form. For this purpose, “decedent's ownership interest” means, in the case of accounts or securities held in tenancy by the entirety, one-half of the value of the account or security, and in all other cases, that portion of the accounts or securities which the decedent had, immediately before death, the right to withdraw or use without the duty to account to any person.

(3) The decedent's fractional interest in property, other than property described in subsection (2) or subsection (7), held by the decedent in joint tenancy with right of survivorship or in tenancy by the entirety. For this purpose, “decedent's fractional interest in property” means the value of the property divided by the number of tenants."
    ..."

A surviving spouse's elective share is 30% of the electve share estate.

So, should she die first, the OP would get that portion. If some portion of the house is distributed to OP in satisfaction of his elective share, the step-son would not be able to kick him out.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
    What if 732.2045(1)(a) applies? If the wife owned the property with the son as JTWROS before the marriage, or after the date of the statute, then it is not included in the elective estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get a deed for mineral rights separate from deed for surface rights [ 1 Answers ]

Can you get a deed for mineral rights separate from the deed for the property or surface rights and what is the process. Do you need an attorney to do so or can it be accomplished through the local courthouse.

Quit claim deed affects survivor rights? [ 8 Answers ]

My father solely owned a property in the Florida Keys. He transferred to me via quit claim deed in 2010. He and his wife (not my mother) were not living in the property (only occasionally visiting) and upon his recent death she listed her daughters home as his legal residence. She was not pleased...

Florida legal rights of only living heir? [ 6 Answers ]

I am the only living heir of my Father. I have a half sister, who is not related to my father. She is living in his house and has caused numerous problems for me. My Father has alzheimers and she is controlling everything. When he dies, what are my rights as his only blood living heir?

Quit claim deed for Florida property from death to survivor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My step father has owned a 2 acre parcel in Polk Cty, Fl. For approximately 45 yrs. This property has always remained in his name only. He recently passed away and we would like to quitclaim this property to my brother, who is residing in Florida. Again, the title does not include my...

View more questions Search