Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melissaholds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
    Dry Socket, Or Not?
    I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed one week ago.

Everything seemed to be progressing well. I began to get food lodged in these bottom sockets quite often.. mostly spaghetti-o's or noddles from chicken noodle soup. So, I have been eating soft foods even a week after.

I would swish violently trying to get the trapped food out, I tried hard, but nothing worked. Decided to get a medicine syringe and just squirt the food out. Which worked wonders! But, unfortunately I got a little rough with the bottom left socket. It began to hurt from just the stream of water hitting it. Now I am feeling very dull pain in there when I drink water, or if I inhale enough air.

Thankfully the pain is not bad at all, but I wonder if it may be the start of a dry socket?

The right socket looks to be healing rather well. The left socket seems to have either bone mass, or maybe it's not bone mass but clotting, or it could be part of the stitching.. directly at the top of the socket. But just underneath it you can see a deep dark hole.

Not sure if I am on my way slowly to a dry socket, or if this is normal healing? Maybe someone one on here will be able to relate?

Not to mention that I began to come down with a cold just yesterday - day 6.. Burning sinuses, can't sleep. And today my nose is crazy stuffed and runny, which doesn't add to keeping things safe with healing with having to blow my nose constantly and sneezing hard from time to time. Blah.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Didn't you get after-care instruction sheets from the dentist? A dry socket should be described and info on treatment would be mentioned.

From webmd.com --

If you suspect a dry socket, return to your dentist. He will clean the tooth socket, removing any debris from the hole, and then fill the socket with a medicated dressing or a special paste to promote healing. You'll probably have to come back to the dentist's office every day for a dressing change until the socket starts to heal and your pain lessens. Your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to prevent the socket from becoming infected.

What Is Dry Socket? Symptoms and Treatment
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
    I was not allowed to violently swish or use a syringe. If those were not instructions from your dentist or you suspect dry socket, get a recheck appointment.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
    Bad move to syringe. It is expected that some food will end up on the extraction site, the point is not poking around or doing anything unusual to try and get it out. If you see a dark mass that is clotting and is the healing process, when you don't see that, it is dry socket. Call your dentist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IS This a dry socket? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my wisdom tooth out on a tusday bottom left one. It hurst just a little and I'm bleeding a little almost fading away.. and I want to know if this is a dry socket can some one please help me

Do I have dry socket? Or is it suppose to look like this. [ 9 Answers ]

I had one of my back teeth pulled out that is on the bottom row 2 days ago. I looked at it today and it looks like it is covered up by this grey-ish stuff. Plus, it has white things in it? I have no kind of pain what so ever. Pleae help!

What is a dry socket [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I had a tooth removal it was the right bottom last tooth... it was abcess prior to this I was prescribed antibiotics, before the tooth removal and then back to have it removed a month later. The tooth site where the tooth removed was looking like it was healing now it has like a white inside the...

Dry Socket [ 2 Answers ]

So I just had my wisdom teeth out Tuesday.. and I had 2 dry sockets by Friday and both were filled in and feeling better.. I was just wondering when I can smoke again? I took a light drag of one last night and seemed to be all right.. and one more question after you get rid of a dry socket, can you...

Dry socket relief [ 3 Answers ]

It has been 5 days since my 4 wisdom teeth have been removed. On the 3rd day I had an intense pain on my lower left hole. Went to the oral surgean next day and he said, I may have a dry socket but he is unsure. He packed the tooth hole and told me to come 2 days later; he also gave me vicodin for...

View more questions Search