Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

May 13, 2013, 09:47 AM
    85 300ZX Turbo: Strange Starting Problem
    Sometimes my 85 300ZX Turbo will not start on a warm day. The vehicle starts fine all through winter and early spring up until Mid May when it begins to get warm.

The car has power, but the fuel pump will make a buzzing and clicking noise.

Nissan put in a new ignition coil, remanufactured distributor, and power transistor unit. They also said it could be the ECU, but I decided not to have that done because it is very expensive, and I think they were just guessing at what the problem could be.

In summary, the vehicle starts fine late September through mid May. When it gets warm, I get that buzzing and clicking sound and the vehicle will not start.

I am completely baffled and do not know anyone experienced enough with these cars in my area to properly diagnose the problem.

If anyone on this board has experience working with imports, or 300zx in particular, I'd really appreciate any suggestions or solutions to this strange problem.

Cheers
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 13, 2013, 12:20 PM
    I would:

. Clean the main ECM ground with abrasive cloth.

. Apply a thin, even coat of silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the Ignition Control Module (ICM).

If the problem persists, I would focus on the ECM. The buzzing may be from the EFI Relay, due to an ECM grounding issue. The buzzing relay is the effect, the failure of the ECM under load (heat) is the cause. This is a common problem in old ECMs, where electrolytic capacitors and micro-processors begin to fail due to heat.
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2013, 09:34 AM
    That makes sense because when I unplug one of the connections from the ECU, the buzzing stops. The only thing I can't tell is if the problem is with the ECU itself or the wiring. Guess the only option is to replace the ECU and see if it goes away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nissan 300zx turbo will turn over but not start? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 87 Nissan 300zx turbo- runs good & has been inspected by a Nissan dealership within the last 4 months- no issues. I tried to start it this morning and it will turn over with a lot of power, but will not start. I was running low on gas, in fact my gas light was on, but the light has been...

1985 300ZX Turbo Keep or Sell? [ 1 Answers ]

I've had this car for 5 years now at about 85K. Runs very strong, I know what it needs and what it doesn't Need. I realize I won't get back what I put into the car, but I guess you could say I'm looking for something a little more mature. Don't have the money to buy a new car, and I don't want...

85 300ZX Turbo-Do I need an alternator? [ 2 Answers ]

Last week all my idiot lights came on while driving my 300ZX. They go out when I am at a full stop. I had the charging system checked at a Shuck's(Part's America) store. The instrument they used measured a 12.42 charge, but it stated that the "diode ripple" was not detected. I am still able...

1985 300ZX Turbo-Reeks of Fuel [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, these past couple of weeks, my 300ZX reeks of fuel inside the cabin. Sometimes the fuel smells burned, and other times it smells fresh like it's not being burned. The smell is asphyxiating and I have to open the windows to get fresh air. My entire exhaust system was replaced from...

View more questions Search