Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeavenlyOdyssey Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Understanding foreign language
    For the last few years now I've discovered I have somewhat of a random ability I suppose is the best I can describe it as.
    Now this ability happens when I'm out either in shopping centre or train station/street bus etc.
    It always happens when my mind isn't concentrating on anything and sort of drifts not really thinking on anything particular.
    I know that people around me are talking, but for some reason I always hear what they are talking about in English.
    Only when I start to pay more attention do I seem to snap out of it and suddenly the conversation I was hearing from those next to me is actually a foreign language.
    I can't explain it, their voices sound exactly the same but for the briefest of seconds when I seem to zone out I hear their conversation in English.
    I've tried to look on the web and books for any hint of what this might be but I'm always left stumped.
    Does anyone know what this could be or have heard something similar?
    I'm very curious!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 13, 2013, 08:18 AM
    That's imagination...

Because when you are fluent in another language... really fluent in it... you don't think of what it is in English first... you hear it in that language... and know what it is without thinking about what it is in English.

And I've spent an entire year where I didn't hear any English more than once a month for a few minutes.

Meaning you concurently think in more than one language at a time. If you had to think and translate it would be very hard if not impossible to have multiple converstaions with two or more people in more than one language at the same time. As you couldn't process everything fast enough.

But you don't think of what they are saying in English. I am fluent in two langages... and have a working knowledge of three others (meaning I can understand them with varying levels of difficulty)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2013, 08:30 AM
    I know enough German and Latin (the basis for Romance languages), so that when I overhear Spanish or Italian, for instance, I mentally translate "agua" to "water" and "Santo" to "Saint." Also, I can get caught up in the "patter" and am able to understand some of what is being said because so many words in Romance languages are similar to English (because of the Latin derivations). I suspect that is what is going on with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Also, many people, esp in a English nation, will jump back and forth from english to foreign language.

I am the same, I live in the middle of China, and expect for my class room, I can go a week or even two and never talk to anyone that speaks english outside my family. But even here, they will jump into a few words of english in many converstations, since it has become slang almost, from TV and movies
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    also, many people, esp in a English nation, will jump back and forth from english to foreign language.

I am the same, I live in the middle of China, and expect for my class room, I can go a week or even two and never talk to anyone that speaks english outside my family. but even here, they will jump into a few words of english in many converstations, since it has become slang almost, from TV and movies
    Good point. My German grandparents knew both English and German, so would say stuff like, " Come mit me to kirche Sunday morning." I would know what was being said.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
    Heavenly-have you ever studied a second language?

May 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Yes, I studied very basic french whilst in secondary school but stopped about year 9 I believe. I have never studied anything else, and not even french in depth to be honest, just very basics.

May 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Thank you for the reply, it's very interesting what you've spoken of and certainly got me thinking :-).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign language speaches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in pharmaceutical nustry as middle level. I have to address the clients from US, UK, switzeraland etc. I have a problemm in understanding their language in phone and in person. I want to improve. I request you to suggest some online education sites to help in this issue preferably...

Understanding the English language [ 6 Answers ]

If I were to travel back in time in England, at what date would I be able to start to understand, in any resemblance, the English language.

Foreign language course [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir/ madam .I like to study GERMAN LANGUAGE in distance education,tell me if there is any institute offering FREE,or else by paying.Please tell me by providing details regarding this.

Understanding title language [ 1 Answers ]

What does secure and file for record a release of that certain abstract mean?? This was on my schedule C Commitment For Title Insurance

View more questions Search