Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2013, 06:38 PM
    x^-4x-12y-20=0 find vertex,latus rectum,focus and directrice
    how to find the vertex, focus , latus rectum and the directrice if the equation is x^2-4x-12y-20=0
    catlady23 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Here's your answer, I hope you learn from it and apply this knowledge towards other questions.

x^2-4x-12y-20=0 - Wolfram|Alpha
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 14, 2013, 05:48 AM
    wana: you need to cmvret the equation into the standard for, which is:

where are constants. You should be able to get the equation into this form through algebra manipulation. Once you have this then the vertex is at and the focus is p units away from the vertex towards the inside of the parabola. The latus rectum is the line that passes through the focus that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry. The directriox is a line also perpendicular to the axis of symmetry but passing through a point p units from the vertex on the outside of the parabola.

Post back with what you gert for answers and we'll check it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find the vertex, focus, and directrix of (x+2)^2 = 12y [ 1 Answers ]

It is just about in the standard form of (x-h)^2 = 4p(y-k). My problem is getting 12y into the 4p(y-k) form. I'm dying over here. Any help would be monumental.

Find the vertex focus latus rectum and directrix [ 1 Answers ]

find the vertex focus latus rectum and directrix y^2=20x (y=0)^2=20(x-0)

Finding the vertex, focus and the coordinates of the end of the latus rectum [ 6 Answers ]

hello... :) I hope u can help me with this.. I find it very difficult for me bcoz our prof gives us example but this problems are not d sme in any of his example. :( I've tried my best to answer this problem but still n0thing happens.. I hope u can really help me.. 1.) x^2-2x-y=0 I thot diz...

View more questions Search