Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomwise Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 08:53 AM
    How many D cell batteries would you need to replace a 6V 4.5Ah battery?
    How many D cell batteries would you need to replace a 6V 4.5Ah battery?

I'm trying to make a power comparison and not physically make the replacement. Would you suggest a different battery to compare the 6V 4.5Ah battery to?

Thanks

Tom
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 09:19 AM
    YOu are aware you are very specific of the type and capacity you want to replace (hypothetically)... then toss our a very unspecific generality like "D" cell .

Are we taling Alkiline, Ni-Cad, Lithium-Ion, etc, etc?

May 9, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Hi Smoothy

Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking standard carbon-zinc D battery.

Here's what I'm up too:

I sell an item on HSN called the What-A-Light!

What-A-Light! Portable Rechargeable Fluorescent Lamp at HSN.com

It's powered by a rechargeable 6V 4.5Ah battery lead acid battery.

At some point in the presentation I'd like to say "the battery inside the WAL! can be recharged up to 300 times. That would be the equivalent to buying _?_ hundred D cell batteries!"

I'd like to know the number of D batteries it would take to power the WAL!

Thanks

Tom
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Here is a good place.. that gives a lot of that info...

Battery Capacity

Also its still not quite as simple as that... as that's an AGM type battery... and not really suitible for deep discharging... meaning the deeper its discharged... the shorter its lifespan.

That 300 recharge lifespan is based on some unknown assumption.

May 9, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Thanks]
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Just remember in series.. the battery output stays the same as a single but the voltage increases... in parallel the voltage tays the same but the current increaces.

You would have a pack that's 4 deep in series (4 x 1.5v =6v)... but X in parallel both to get the needed current.

May 9, 2013, 10:39 AM
    Very good. So I'd be in the ball park to say you'd need 4 D cell batteries to turn the light on?

Thanks again smoothy.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 10:58 AM
    4 gets you 6 volts at the current a single D-cell will provide.

you multiple those 4 cell groups side by side (parrallel) to now get the current that the AGM battery provided... but you will be needing more than 4 D cells.

Remember since a D cell is rated at 0.2 aH (200ma) and your battery needs to be 4.5 aH to match it...

Basically 4.5 ÷ 0.2 = X (the number of 4 cell groups you need)

Being that's fluorescent... the startup current is higher than the run current... so not sure if 4 will get it to light... but they certainly wouldn't last long if it did.

May 9, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Very interesting.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple chase 9600 thermostat, low battery. Changed batteries, no display at all [ 1 Answers ]

Display screen stays blank, even reset breakers and reset button on thermostat, still blank with new batteries installed

Which battery is preferable for use in a car.A dry cell or a wet cell battery? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to get a new battery for a mercedes benz and I don't which one to pick among the two.some say the wet cell battery is better but I still want to be sure.So,between the wet cell and dry cell battery, which one is really more efficient and preferable for use in a car? Which one picks up...

How do you replace batteries in wall mount ceiling mfan control? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hunter all fan/light wall mount control, model # 27186. How do you replace the batteries in ceiling and wall unit once it stops working?

Cell phone battery [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Nokia 6085 and I have been told I should not charge the battery while the phone is on? Is this true and can I use the phone while it's being charged?

Battery C cell [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to solder a wire to a C cell battery, I cannot get the solder to attach. I've tried several types of solder but so far none hold. Maybe I afraid to put too much heat to the battery. Can someone give me advice or another means to attach the wire?

View more questions Search