Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornonacob Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2013, 04:15 AM
    Different spellings for Sanskrit words..
    I'm looking to get the word "gratitude" tattooed as a regular reminder of my many blessings. I looked it up online and there appears to be almost up to 5 different spellings purported to mean 'gratitude.' I know that Sanskrit is spelled phonetically, so I was wondering if anyone knew whether precise spelling really matters and what the difference is between the different spellings, if anything.

Can someone also tell me the most appropriate spelling for it, given the context I'm looking to use it? Thank you!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 04:29 AM
    I think the spelling of 'gratitude' in sanskrit relates to just what type of gratitude it applies to i.e. gratitude for parental guidance, gratitude for a good marriage, etc.

It is not a general word in sanskrit.

So you can't really use a particular spelling for 'many blessings' as it applies to 'all blessings'. I am thankful the english language is not so complicated but probably so because it comes from many roots. Sanskrit, as you may appreciate, is an elite language so is not 'watered' down. But more or less pure.
    cornonacob Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I think the spelling of 'gratitude' in sanskrit relates to just what type of gratitude it applies to ie gratitude for parental guidance, gratitude for a good marriage, etc.

It is not a general word in sanskrit.

So you can't really use a particular spelling for 'many blessings' as it applies to 'all blessings'. I am thankful the english language is not so complicated but probably so because it comes from many roots. Sanskrit, as you may appreciate, is an elite language so is not 'watered' down. but more or less pure.
    Thank you very much for your response! To clarify, would you say that there is no one proper spelling/word to convey "gratitude" in the general sense? Does it have to follow/be followed by that for which I am grateful? Or would it make sense if the word stood alone?

I am seeing the following spellings recommended around the site and on the Spoken Sanskrit website. Is there a different meaning behind each..

• कृतज्ञा
    • कृतज्ञता
    • प्रत्युपकार
    • उपकारज्ञता { ग्रतेfउल् }
    • कृतवेदित्व
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 01:08 PM
    I don't know the different meaning behind each, but as I stated, there is no general spelling for gratitude in sanskrit. I think the tats in sanskrit are so long is because certain words have to be 'described', so yes, you would have to say what you are gratuitous for as in "I am grateful for happiness".
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

May 12, 2013, 07:30 AM
    Yes they have different meaning. The first and second is gratitude. प्रत्युपकार means returning a favor. उपकारज्ञता knowing or understanding gratitude, the kindness. कृतवेदित्व gratitude towards veda, again very deeper meaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need the following words translated in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there I need help to translate the followign words in Sanskrit writing please. Strength, Hope, Believe, Patience, Pride, Honour Thanks You can email to me please [email protected]

Translation into Sanskrit of two words [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction so I could have two words translated into Sanskrit? The first word is "Mount" as in Mount Everest for example and the word "King", your help is greatly appreciated!

Words in Sanskrit [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to write the following words in sanskrit? :) 1) ALISE 2) BARSA 3) KORA

Sanskrit words [ 1 Answers ]

Does Kama mean love in Sanskrit and is that appropriate to use when saying you love something or someone or erotic love?

View more questions Search