Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T 1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 02:55 AM
    How should be written the journal entry?
    1. On July 1, 215 Corp. borrowed funds from a bank by signing a long-term note. Repayment is at the option of the borrower but interest will accrue on the unpaid balance. Interest will be determined at year-end
    2.Purchased stock as a long-term investment in another company (This is an investing cash flow)
    3.The stock purchased in event 2 is sold for cash
    4. Existing owners purchased additional shares of stock in this company

Is it correct:
    1. Dr Cash xxx
    Cr Notes Payable xxx

2.Dr Long-term Investments xxx
    Cr Cash xxx

3. Dr Cash xxx
    Cr Common Stock xxx
    Cr gain on sale of investments

4.Dr Common Stock xxx
    Cr Cash xxx

Thank you!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

May 9, 2013, 04:22 AM
    1 and 2 are good.

In 3, remember that you're selling the asset bought in Event 2. Hence the credit should reflect that particular asset.

Also in 3, I don't see any basis for assuming the asset was sold at a gain. It might be better to indicate in the entry that it's a credit to Gain or a debit to Loss.

In 4, remember that cash in coming in to the company, as a result of the transaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I am creating a journal to look like it was written in the 1600s... [ 0 Answers ]

What is a household item that could be used for holding journals similar to those from the 1600s. I have a project that I'm doing and I need to find something for the journal entries to be kept in, what could I use?

Journal Entry / Double-entry software needed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a good software to use for daily journal entries and adjustments, that will allow me to create at least a balance sheet & income statement and perhaps a few reports (like inventory, accounts receivables). I need a real double-entry & simple reliable software. Peachtree &...

What would the general journal entry be for an adjusting entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Depreciation for the month: Factory equipment... $642.00 Office equipment... $369.70 What accounts are debited and credited?

Journal entry for employee loans written off [ 2 Answers ]

Journal entry for employee loans written off in finance accounting

What do I debit/credit in journal entry/adjusting entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am unsure about the correct way to debit/credit these entries. Can someone help me? Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed: July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July 1 Purchased used truck for...

View more questions Search