Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Start button for windows 8
    There is an app called start 8 that will install a windows 7 style start button on the desktop ( which I desperately need since I'm into photography and need to access photos easily)
    My question is that is it worth the five bucks it costs to download it? Is it a good working app withvnk bugs?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2013, 06:58 PM
    There are freebies that can do it. CNet did an article a couple of months ago that listed I think 8 different apps, most were free.

My question is why do you think you need a start button so desperately? If you need to access your photos, why not use the Photo tile on the Start screen? Or Open Windows Explorer and use the My Photos Library, or you can just pin the Photos library to your Desktop taskbar. All of which seem easier then the Start Menu to access photos.

May 8, 2013, 07:02 PM
    To access your photos, why not use the Photo tile on the Start screen? Or Open Windows Explorer and use the My Photos Library, or you can just pin the Photos library to your Desktop taskbar. All of which seem easier then the Start Menu to access photos.[/QUOTE]

Because I really hate change sometimes. Well windows 7 was perfect and so is 8 but one problem is no easy to use there when you need it start button, that's where Microsoft screwed up. And the freebies? Too buggy for me ( I'm stingy with downloads if they don't work fast enough it goes in the trash)

May 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy11 View Post
    to access your photos, why not use the Photo tile on the Start screen? Or Open Windows Explorer and use the My Photos Library, or you can just pin the Photos library to yourtaskbar. All of which seem easier then the Start Menu to access photos.

Also to point out I've always vatted internet explorer it's the most buggiest virus collecting program there us besides the ones that INTENTIONALLY get you viruses

Because I really hate change sometimes. Well windows 7 was perfect and so is 8 but one problem is no easy to use there when you need it start button, that's where Microsoft screwed up. And the freebies? Too buggy for me ( I'm stingy with downloads if they don't work fast enough it goes in the trash)[/QUOTE]

May 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
    First, I said WINDOWS Explorer, not Internet Explorer. Second, while I agree there have been better browsers, IE 10 is not bad at all.

Second, My Samsung ATIV 7000 came with a Start button replacement and it works fine the few times I've used it.

Third, I like the Photo Tile, its very easy to use. The only thing I have against it, is that it won't recognize photo folders on a Network share. But Windows Explorer does that just fine. Its VERY easy to access photos that way. It was easier to do it that way under Win 7 too.

Its one thing to be resistant to change. Its another thing to be stubbornly resistant to change, so much so, that you continue to do things the old way, when there are newer and easier ways.

May 8, 2013, 07:42 PM
    10 is not bad at all.

Second, My Samsung ATIV 7000 came with a Start button replacemen
    T and it works fine the few times I've used it.

Sorry man I'm a little tired, its late. Stubborn? Heh that's me. Not that I'm proud if my stubbornness but oh well. Please explain this 'replacement'
    Third, I like the Photo Tile, its very easy to use. The only thing I have against it, is that it won't recognize photo folders on a Network share. But Windows Explorer does that just fine. Its VERY easy to access photos that way. It was easier to do it that way under Win 7 too.

Its one thing to be resistant to change. Its another thing to be stubbornly resistant to change, so much so, that you continue to do things the old way, when there are newer and easier ways.[/QUOTE]

May 8, 2013, 07:54 PM
    7000 came with a Start button replacemen
    T and it works fine the few times I've use

Sorry man I'm a little tired, its late. Stubborn? Heh that's me. Not that I'm proud if my stubbornness but oh well. Please explain this 'replacement'

Its one thing to be resistant to change. Its another thing to be stubbornly resistant to change, so much so, that you continue to do things the old way, when there are newer and easier ways.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Sorry man its late, I'm tired. Stubborn? That's me. Notcthstcim proudcofcit but oh well. On a sure note IE is not good lol ( just messing with you) anyway could you explain the replacement you have? I have an HP notebook

May 9, 2013, 03:09 AM
    Sorry man its late, I'm tired. Stubborn? That's me. Notcthstcim proudcofcit but oh well. On a sure note IE is not good lol ( just messing with you) anyway could you explain the replacement you have? I have an HP notebook
    It was just part of a set of utilities that came with the Samsung. When I installed it, it added a tool bar to the desktop which included a Start button and some other tools.

What I'm not understanding here is what the Start button does to make it easier to view your Pics. Sure the Start button has a Pictures choice on it. But, like I said. If you Open Windows Explorer, right click on the Pictures library and chose SendTo>Desktop. You will have a Desktop icon that does the SAME thing as the Pictures option on the Start Button. And you can pin the Desktop shortcut to your Taskbar.

May 9, 2013, 04:24 AM
    Windows Explorer, right click on the Pictures library and chose SendTo>Desktop. You will have a Desktop icon that does the SAME thing as the Pictures option on the Start Button. And you can pin the Desktop shortcut to your Taskbar.[/QUOTE]

When I say photography that does not just mean photos, I need a way to access my photo editing software's fast while not overloading NY desktop with them. So do those utilities only cone with your laptop or.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 9, 2013, 07:51 AM
    The free "Classic Shell" gets good reviews. Though it's not as pretty as the 5 dollar Start 8, they say its search function is a great improvement over Win8's. My PC Mag says that MS will release an update to Win8 called "Windows Blue" with a public preview in mid summer and a final release in August that will supposedly fix the search function and improve battery life in mobile devices. Personally I hate Win8. I only have a little experience on others laptops but I find it to be a foolish OS and extremely non-intuitive. As an individual who owns no mobile devices and see no need for any at this time, I find it hard to swallow as a desktop OS. My friend bought a laptop with only touch on the keyboard, not on the screen, and it's a total pain in the butt. Why they didn't offer him Win7 says a lot about MS caring more about THEIR future and not ours. Linux here I come.

May 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
    I've have a Hybrid since January. Sorry, I love Win 8 and the touch interface. It works great is fast and intuitive. I like the Live tiles a lot. I agree it doesn't work as well without a touch screen and, while I understand why MS got rid of the Start button, I disagree that they should have.

Linux will never come close to replacing Windows as a viable OS. There is talk, but no confirmation, that Windows Blue will restore some semblance of the Start button. And, I hope, give users a choice between booting to the Start Screen or the Desktop. Except for the lack of the start button, using the Desktop in Win 8 is just about exactly the same as in Win 7 and Win 8 is faster.

But I don't want to hijack this into a battle over Windows versions. I still say that the lack of a Start button does not make things any harder for the OP. That there are ways to create the same functionality without downloading a 3rd party tool.

May 9, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Sktop in Win 8 is just about exactly the same as in Win 7 and Win arder for the OP. That there are ways to create the same functionality without downloading a 3rd party tool.[/QUOTE]

Well with 8 its just dumb how you have to go to a corner go up then click search to find something instead of using a start button. Yes I understand why they took it out. MS was sort of behind in operating systems Mac had already made several products since the appearance of windows 7 so they said hey take the start button and replace with aggravating tiles and that's how 8 came.

The tiles are indeed cool but without a touch screen your pretty much screwed. Also I tried classic shell and it made my entire desktop go blank forcing me to uninstall it from the metro tiles.

May 9, 2013, 03:17 PM
    No that's not the rational behind the Start Screen. Its clear that mobile is the current and coming thing. Microsoft is just trying to create a unified interface across multiple platforms. But yes, without a touch screen it doesn't make as much sense. And the Charms, do need to be refined.

Is that your issue? That you want to use search to find your photos?

May 9, 2013, 06:22 PM
    S multiple platforms. But yes, without a touch screen it doesn't make as much sense. And the Charms, do need to be refined.

Is that your issue? That you want to use search to find your photos?[/QUOTE
    They were behind. They said hey it would make a lot of money to build an operating system based off a mobile looking platform idea that would benefit the modern idea of touch screen laptops. Other than that there were no big 'improvements.' My problem is is that I refuse to resort to using tiles for searching items on a non touch laptop

May 10, 2013, 03:15 AM
    My problem is is that i refuse to resort to using tiles for searching items on a non touch laptop
    So don't! You don't have to. I've shown you how to easily open your Pictures folderes as a Library and search from Windows Explorer.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 10, 2013, 03:28 AM
    I am also not a fan of Win8 like millions of others. Check below for ways to ease your pain.

https://www.google.com/search?source....1.NQ5e3UCy-Fw

May 10, 2013, 04:54 AM
    There are millions of people who just don't like Microsoft (mostly jealousy) and will not be fans of anything coming out of Redmond. But the fact remains that Windows is what drives the vast majority of corporate PCs and Office is the productivity suite that dominants. No OS is ever going to make everyone happy. There will be many resistant to change and be unhappy over the learning curve. And they will have some points in both arguments. But it is clear that Win 8 is stable, fast and it works.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 10, 2013, 04:57 AM
    I wasn't referring to all things MS. I LOVE Windows 7 - best uptime I've ever had on a computer. I just do not like the new UI of Win8 and their sales figures and reviews seem to show the same.

May 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
    Ains that many resistant to change and be unhappy over the learning curve. And they will have some points in both arguments. But it is clear that Win 8 is stable, fast and it works.[/QUOTE]

Look man! This is way off topic I created this thread to see if start 8 has glitches not to argue about why MS made win. 8 or how I can use windows explorer. Also another reason is is that I just plain out want a start button OK

May 11, 2013, 06:48 AM
    That's what happens with sites like this. Threads go off on tangents. Saying one thing leads to another.

Also, we try to do more than just answer the question, but help provide a solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ge dryer won't start just a buzzing noise when I turn the start button [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine, just switched the loads and now just a buzzing noise when I turn the start button

Kenmore Electric Dryer Series 80 start button - won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Tonight I replaced the Door Switch - easy enough - and the inside light works once again. But now the push button to start the dryer does not work. Do I need to replace the blower box fuse and thermal fuse? What I thought began as a quick fix has now become a mystery. Can You Help ? Model...

My Whirlpool Senseon gas dryer won't start up when I press the Start button? [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer doesn't start when I press the Start button. It just hums. Start capacitor bad?

Sears Kenmore Dishwasher start button won't start unit [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher that will not start when pushing the start pad location. It will pump when put on the Cancel/Drain button, but will not start after that. It does have power, or the pump would not run during the Cancel/Drain cycle. The washer was purchased in Jan 20, 2006...

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button

View more questions Search