Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2013, 04:29 PM
    If you wait a bit longer then Win 8.1 is due for release soon. They decided to put the start button / classic style back in as an option.
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If you wait a bit longer then Win 8.1 is due for release soon. They decided to put the start button / classic style back in as an option.
    When is it going to be released? Thanks for the info I look forward to having my start button back, even though if you think about it it kind of destroys the purpose of 8 altogether
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2013, 02:51 AM
    Windows "Blue" was in the media recently. A lot was discussed about it, though the restoration of the Start button was not fully confirmed.

And I don't see how its restoration destroys the purpose of Win 8 at all. Microsoft removed it because they felt the new interface was better and wanted users to give it a shot. But I don't think they realized how it requires touch to make it better. Also, how corporate America would react. Giving the option to boot to the desktop with a start button, will help speed adoption of Win 8 in the business environment.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 14, 2013, 05:47 AM
    What I don't understand is why they didn't just create a separate touch screen mobile version for phones touch laptops and tablets and continue from Win7 with desktop OS versions as normal. It seems to me that their insistence of having one for all is what has hurt them the most. A desktop OS can be a 10gig install but that makes little sense for a tiny phone or tablet. So trying for the all in one seems silly at best. Since they already admit that Win8 is basically a tweaked Win7 and the path to creation was short, why not WinTouch 1.0 and continue with Win8 for desktops for a future release. I can almost hear the chorus of DOH! In the Redmond halls.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    What I don't understand is why they didn't just create a separate touch screen mobile version for phones touch laptops and tablets and continue from Win7 with desktop OS versions as normal. It seems to me that their insistence of having one for all is what has hurt them the most. A desktop OS can be a 10gig install but that makes little sense for a tiny phone or tablet. So trying for the all in one seems silly at best. Since they already admit that Win8 is basically a tweaked Win7 and the path to creation was short, why not WinTouch 1.0 and continue with Win8 for desktops for a future release. I can almost hear the chorus of DOH! in the Redmond halls.
    That decision hurt the whole industry. Its sad to see. A dual version at installation would have been the right way to go so you can pick what is going to be installed. All they had to do was add 1 layer to it. Now the industry is in an uproar over the whole mess.

May 14, 2013, 06:50 AM
    I can tell you part of the thinking. There was definitely complaints from a lot of people about having to have to deal with multiple OSes. Having to go from one interface on their desktop to a different one on their tablet to a different one on their phones. Microsoft felt, and I agree, that since they were late to the phone/tablet market, they needed something special to differentiate themselves. They decided, and again I agree, that giving people a single interface on all platforms could be that differentiator.

Where they went wrong, In my opinion, was in thinking that corporate desktops were ready for touch. And that the tiled interface would work well on a non touch device.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 07:16 AM
    I use startmenu8. I have put it onto dozens of customer computers who won't pay for a downgrade.

IObit Start Menu 8 Free download, Bring Start Menu back to Windows 8

Trusted by me. And they give you a few cool configuration options. Also you can right click on your new startmenu to bring up the windows 8 tiles. Or left click to get a windows 7 style menu.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Did I mention Free!

May 15, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Can't we all just say screw I'm going Linux till Microsoft gets their *bleep* together

May 15, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy11 View Post
    Can't we all just say screw I'm going Linux till Microsoft gets their *bleep* together
    What's stopping you?

May 19, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What's stopping you?
    Linux is hard to use and does not run games smoothly. If I knew how to work it I would. But I'm not going to learn the most hardest OS just because MS is going to heck.

May 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Linux is hard to use and does not run games smoothly. If I knew how to work it I would. But I'm not going to learn the most hardest OS just because MS is going to heck.
    That presumes that MS "is going to heck". Its an opinion I don't agree with and is not really supported by the facts.

And now you have answered your own question about "Can't we all just say screw I'm going Linux till Microsoft gets their *bleep* together "

May 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    That presumes that MS "is going to heck". Its an opinion I don't agree with and is not really supported by the facts.

And now you have answered your own question about "Can't we all just say screw I'm going Linux till Microsoft gets their *bleep* together "
    Are you one of those people that take everything somebody says seriously?

Seems like it. MS is going downhill. Unless they go uphill I won't be happy.

May 20, 2013, 02:59 AM
    Seems like it. MS is going downhill. Unless they go uphill i wont be happy.
    Seems to whom? I don't see any signs that Microsoft is going downhill. Have they made some mistakes? Sure they have. They aren't immune to mistakes. But going downhill? Please.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
    All OS's have their ups and downs. Microsoft dominates the general market in OS's, and still stays on top with xp and 7 operating 83.03% of personal computers, 91.78% if you include other supported OS's. Also, 29.06% of Gaming consoles run Microsoft software, 35.00% of web servers are Windows based, 35.80% of Real-Time based OS's are Windows.

Microsoft stock has been holding steady since 2004 with only a few minor short lived dips.

Microsoft is leading in options and features as well with compatibility.

Down hill?
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

May 23, 2013, 02:51 PM
    I personally use an app called StartisBack (StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8). It's free for 30 days, but costs $3 to buy. It pretty much makes it look exactly like Windows 7 desktop, but there are some extra options that you can configure. For instance you can set it up to have the PC boot directly to the desktop with start button, you can disable the corner shortcuts, etc. Still not free, but I loved this one so much that I think it's worth the 3 bones.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 09:07 AM
    Update: First Looks At Windows 8.1, Complete With 'Start' Button - Slashdot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ge dryer won't start just a buzzing noise when I turn the start button [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine, just switched the loads and now just a buzzing noise when I turn the start button

Kenmore Electric Dryer Series 80 start button - won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Tonight I replaced the Door Switch - easy enough - and the inside light works once again. But now the push button to start the dryer does not work. Do I need to replace the blower box fuse and thermal fuse? What I thought began as a quick fix has now become a mystery. Can You Help ? Model...

My Whirlpool Senseon gas dryer won't start up when I press the Start button? [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer doesn't start when I press the Start button. It just hums. Start capacitor bad?

Sears Kenmore Dishwasher start button won't start unit [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher that will not start when pushing the start pad location. It will pump when put on the Cancel/Drain button, but will not start after that. It does have power, or the pump would not run during the Cancel/Drain cycle. The washer was purchased in Jan 20, 2006...

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button

View more questions Search