Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

May 8, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Scabies
    My sister inlaw showed me her somach about 3 weeks ago, it was covered in what looked to me to be either hives or an allergic reaction to either laundry soap or the uplostry cleaner she used to clean their families bedding. Also their rescued chihuaua puppy has been itching like crazy and looking pretty bad.

She took the dog into the vet clinic and had some testing done. They ruled out scabies on the dog and did blood work. Sent her home with some medicated wash for the dog. Her other dogs have not shown any symptoms of having whateved the little dog does. But the Vet called back supposedly yesterday to tell hee that it was a skin mite that humans can not get. Is this true that humans can't get it? I'm just so worried that I'm going to bring something home to my animals. I am at my brother and sister inlaws house daily because I babysit for them.

The next part of this is pertaining to humans. Yes, I know that this is a long post but I really need to get some advice and input if anyone has ever delt with anything like this.

Sunday my sister inlaw went to the Dr. Because her rash was not getting any better. She was diagnosed with Scabies. Since we have all been around each other everyone was treated and houses were cleaned to the max. Including vaccuming beds and bagging anything that could not be washed or dried.

I'm not sure that I actually had the sacbies, but I do know that I had something that resembled her rash just not nearly as bad. Now that I treated myself I have developed a persistent itch in places where I have no rash. Could this be a mind game? Because I am so worried about getting them, or having them?

I have no medical insurance, or I would have gone to the Dr. On Sunday when my inlaw found out she had them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 03:25 PM
    "tell hee that it was a skin mite that humans can not get. Is this true that humans can't get it?”

Without knowing what “it” is - what kind of mite - it's impossible to say. I would, however, believe a Veterinarian.

If you think “it” is scabies, here's the info: “The scabies mite that infests humans does not live on dogs or other pets. And animal-transmitted scabies mites do not survive or reproduce on humans. But they can live long enough on humans to cause itchy hives or raised bumps that last a few days.” Scabies-Cause

Without treatment you could be passing scabies on to other people, including your son - "Scabies is contagious. If you have scabies, you can spread mites to other people before and after you have symptoms, for as long as you remain infested and untreated. After your first infestation, several weeks may pass before you have symptoms. You are contagious during this time, which is known as the incubation period."

May 8, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Thank you

May 8, 2013, 03:32 PM
    I'm not sure what kind of Mite it is. But I do know that I am beyond ready to stop feeling all creepy and crawly. Nobody except for me and my sister inlaw are showing any symptoms. This is why I'm having a hard time with it. You woul think that if it were some kind of mite that lived only on humans for a short period that everyone would be bitten up and th other dogs too. It doesn't make since is all.

May 8, 2013, 03:35 PM
    I read the link you posted. It does say that if you have never had scabies it would take up to 4 weeks for symptoms to show. So I guess that's why the kids haven't showed signs?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 8, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    I read the link you posted. It does say that if you have never had scabies it would take up to 4 weeks for symptoms to show. So I guess thats why the kids haven't showed signs?
    That's a good guess.

Keep in mind that online, that's all we can do as well. Guess.

May 8, 2013, 03:39 PM
    We have all been treated regardless of signs. I'm just worried about my animals and my itch now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 8, 2013, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    We have all been treated regaurdless of signs. I'm just worried about my animals and my itch now.
    And sadly we can't diagnose your itch. The only one that can is your doctor. We can guess, but that's it. Guesses don't help when a diagnosis is needed.

The info Judy posted is really the only advice we can offer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2013, 05:36 PM
    What treatment were you given?

May 8, 2013, 05:43 PM
    Permethrin cream 5%
    current pert

May 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
    Did you have someone slather it over your entire backside from neck to ankles, and you slathered your entire front, from neck down, fingertips in, all down your front to your ankles?
    Without that (for some reason scabies don't go above the neck or below the ankles), you have to do it all again.

May 8, 2013, 09:18 PM
    Oh yeah. We slathered it every where. Even on our faces and bottoms of our feet.
    current pert

May 9, 2013, 05:15 AM
    OK.. there's a possibility that it isn't scabies. The doctor probably went by looks rather than a microscopic exam. There's a possibility that it is in your mind. I do that. My dog and cat sleep with me and I go through all sorts of itching if I find a stray tick or flea that got past the chemical treatments.
    I've been bitten all over my arms when gardening this last 10 days. Not mosquitoes, not ants, not anything I can see, and the bites are very strange looking.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 06:20 AM
    Scabies used to be called crabs, they have refined it this way. Not a nice pest to get. They inhabit hairy areas on the body, burrow and drink blood. Can be 'caught' by using someone's personal item, towel, bed sheets. They used to be considered sexually transmitted because they accumulate in the pubic area.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Crabs and scabies are two different things Tick. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Scabies is a parasite and crabs is body lice.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 07:07 AM
    There was an outbreak at the nursing home where I volunteer - I didn't have a problem but the specific instructions were not to use it on faces. Your Physician advised to use the cream on your face?
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Crabs and scabies are two different things Tick. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Scabies is a parasite and crabs is body lice.
    I wouldn't exactly say apples to oranges, the only physical difference is the number of legs on each, crabs actually

Look like the crustacean we eat, therefore the name. Crabs like to live in the warm hairy parts of the body, and for some reason really enjoy syphilitic blood.

To some extent they burrow like any other parasite, but will lay their eggs on the pubic hair, rather then under the skin.

Does anyone feel itchy hey?
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 09:04 AM
    This whole thread has me scratching!
    current pert

May 9, 2013, 09:40 AM
    Crabs (lice) can be seen and can be pulled off the skin with tweezers.
    Scabies (a tiny mite, one of thousands of kinds) cannot.
    Scabies does often start on the stomach.
    Expert

May 9, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Crabs (lice) can be seen and can be pulled off the skin with tweezers.
    Scabies (a tiny mite, one of thousands of kinds) cannot.
    Scabies does often start on the stomach.
    And for every crab you see, and if you can catch them, if not in thick hair, there are ten more you can't get. Blue ointment used to be the only thing to fight them (after shaving every bit if hair off the body). Or injections of pennicilin.

I have two clients at the present time RNs are treating. They are a serious health hazard, not the RNs, the crabs!

Universal protection is recommended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scabies [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr old step daughter and a friend of hers that comes to my house off and on. They called tonight and said the got scabies from my house. No in my house has ever had scabies before. EVER. So is it possible that they could have got it from here. What is it what causes it and how do you...

Scabies [ 1 Answers ]

Does bleach kill scabies or does it make them borrow deeper in the skin

Scabies [ 0 Answers ]

We had recently come in contact with scabies through an extended hotel stay. We have done everything we were told to do but it is not helping. We showered and applied the cream. 12 hours later washed it off using clean towels. We washed all linens, blankets, and laundry in hot water. We put pillows...

Is scabies serious and how is it treated [ 1 Answers ]

How serious is scabies

Cat scabies [ 2 Answers ]

A lady gave me a 2 month old kitty with time we sarted to itch, it's been on the bed and the we started itching there's times when we itch and times when we don't also he has a chihuahua dog and it sleeps with the cat can the dog get in fected if the cat is infected? Also if it's like that and we...

View more questions Search