Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vacmb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 07:17 AM
    I am trying to plan a full bathroom in my basement and need help identifying what the plumbing rough ins are. There are a few capped drain pipes sticking out of the concrete, but I don't know how to identify what they are. There are also no walls around them making it even more difficult to understand how to plan a bathroom. I have pictures but don't know how to insert them in this post. How do I go about figuring out what the pipes are intended for?

I figured out how to upload a photo! As you can see, there are what appear to be waste and vent pipes. There are two capped drains - I would assume that the larger one is for a toilet but it is too close to the waste pipe to be able to properly install a toilet. Please help me understand what I'm looking at!
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Hi Vacmb

As presented, the pipe with the tee fitting is for the sink.

The toilet pipe is the large capped pipe in the floor and as you said, it is too cloce to the large drain pipe to do much with EXCEPT that TOTO and DURAVIT make toilets that will fit an 8" rough (from face of finish wall to the center of the pipe).

If there is a tub or shower drain it could be under the circle of gray by the black column, or it could be under one of the tiles. Here, tap around with a hammer and see if you can find a hollow sound... should reveal a box out for the drain if you are lucky!

From what I can see, someone messed up the underground, for sure... layout is very poor!

If you post a larger/wider picture I may be able to help you lay this out in a manner that works reasonably well, but first, find the tub/shower drain and then post the new pictures.

I'll check back later tonight... off to another job!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some help with basement Rough-Ins [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I bought my house about 12 years ago and it was built in 1996. The basement was partially finished and now I would like to finish it out completely with a bathroom. I was told when I purchased it it has rough ins. In a closet there seems to be 2 rough in drains and then two other drain...

Plumbing in basement without rough ins? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We are looking at purchasing a home that has great basement space, however, the house was built without rough ins in the basement. To finish the basement and add bathroom, sink, and wetbar, what will we need to do to ensure the plumbing can be accomplished? Your answers are...

Toilet rough ins [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys, I am in sales and I had a customer ask if he needed a 12 or a ten in rough if he was 11" from the wall. I think he needs 12 my co workers aren't sure what do you guys think? And how do I determine the differences? :confused: Thanks ami

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

View more questions Search