Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2murphy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Never Severed Court papers.
    I just got a notice of entry of judgment and in the paperwork say that I owe money to the plaintiff which I never received a notice to appear in court or other hand I never knew about the court hereon. I had receive a paper from the plaintiff attorney and I had called them and set up a meeting with them. I told them that I was at home sleeping when someone barrowed my car with out me knowing and drove it through a power pole and I haven't seen that person since it happen and I have no clue where they are, the attorney took the paper from me and they will take care of that I have nothing to worry about and now 2years later I get this judgment paper mailed to me. What can I do to take care of never beening notified about the court date and how to handle the attorney who lied and said they served me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2013, 03:12 AM
    First, you file a motion to vacate the judgment on the grounds of improper service. You then request a new hearing.

Did you file a police report that your car had been stolen? Was a police report ever done about the accident?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 10:16 AM
    I'm a liability investigator. It was your car. You are responsible for the damages. The best you can do is track the person down and sue them for what the accident is costing you.

You can appeal the judgment, get it set aside, have a second hearing BUT I think you are going to lose - again.

May 8, 2013, 02:15 PM
    Yes a police report was made and in the police report said the got the other person for unlawful borrowing of a vehicle because they had the key to the car and when I got woke up I went to the site where my car was and talked to the police on how my car was taken with out my permission and that is what the CHP officer told me their getting charged with.

May 8, 2013, 02:17 PM
    The other person had no license to drive.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 02:20 PM
    Your car caused the damage. You are responsible. If the other person can be found you will both be sued.

May 8, 2013, 02:37 PM
    When I never get served for a court hereon and then I get a paper in the mail saying here is the judgment how is that.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 02:41 PM
    I'd stop attempting to use legal language which you don't understand, such as "hereon."

How is that a judgment was taken against you? I don't know. I've already explained your options to you.

You were sleeping when your car was stolen. Maybe you were sleeping when the process server attempted (and said he/she did) to serve you.

Go to Court, ask to see the Affidavit of Service, get the Judgment set aside - as I explained. It will be very difficult to do so if the papers were served by the Court (and that includes by mail).

I do not know where you are - I rather doubt personal service was necessary, though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2013, 02:57 PM
    There are many reasons you never received notice of the hearing. It could have been an honest mistake, or it could have been subterfuge. But that is moot at this point. If you can convince the court you were not properly served (and you will need to see the affidavits of service first), you can get a new hearing. But you will still have to face the fact, that, unless you can show you reported the car stolen, you will be still be responsible for the damages, so the judgment is likely to stand.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 03:19 PM
    I can only address NY but Police Reports that a car was stolen AFTER an accident has been reported are, in general, looked upon as fraudulent. Unless there was an obvious break in or "hot wiring," someone had access to the keys, keys which the auto owner should have secured.

May 8, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Ok so I go and file an affidavit so that I can go to court since I wasn't served and explain to the judge that my car was taken without my permission and show him the police report where it show that they unlawfully borrowing of a vehicle. I will do so and hope they understand. The other person name is on the judgment too but they owe a lot more then what they want me to pay.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 04:18 PM
    I thought you didn't know where the other person is?

At any rate, you are both responsible for the total amount. Either you pay it or he pays it or you both pay it.

Again, if you pay it you can then PROVE your side of things and sue him for the money.

I think if you get the Judgment set aside you're going to lose the second time, too, but please let us know.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 8, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2murphy View Post
    Ok so I go and file an affidavit so that I can go to court since I wasn't served and explain to the judge that my car was taken without my permission and show him the police report where it show that they unlawfully borrowing of a vehicle. I will do so and hope they understand. The other person name is on the judgment too but they owe a lot more then what they want me to pay.
    No.

Before you can do any of that, you will need to ask the court to set aside the judgment.

To do that you will need to examine the court clerk's file to determine how you were supposedly served with process. It could be one of many ways:
    1. A process server handed you the papers (which are called "process");
    2. A process server handed someone living in your home (Most commonly, court rules allow this if the person is "of suitable age and discretion residing" there.) the papers; or perhaps
    3. The plaintiff was allowed to achieve service by publication.

Then, if you were defaulted, you probably did not need to be given notice of a hearing, if one was held.

Depending on what you find, you would then file a motion to set aside the judgment. Support this motion by affidavits concerning the issue of your being served wth process.

When and if you manage to get the judgment set aside, then you can file affidavits and other evidence bearing upon your liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you be served court papers through mail? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex sent me court papers through the mail. No pink slip or signature required or anything. Does this count as being served?

Court papers [ 1 Answers ]

If its your week and the spouse wants the child a day early do you have to give them to that person if you have court ordered papers that say every other week Sunday at 6pm to Sunday at 6pm,

Court papers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering,, I was charged with thieft over $200 dollars and was fined $400 dollars, 29 years ago, I went to the courts and they told me my court papers was destoyed, and had a document given to me as prof,, and also have a Metis Indian Status card,, but I'm still on the police...

Court papers destroyed [ 1 Answers ]

29 years ago I was charged with thieft over $200 and was only fined $400, I went to the courts for papper work so I can cross the border but the court told me my record was destroyed,, and I have a decument from the courts aying so,, but I'm still on the police computer, but I ask a police offecer...

View more questions Search