Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    castilloi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Bank Account Seized
    I have a joint bank account with my husband. The account was seized and they have it blocked. That was my money but the seize was against him what do I do?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Nothing you can do now, there must have been a trial in which whoever he owes money to was allowed to freeze his account. Contact whoever he owes money to and pay them off or see if they will accept any type of payment plan. But if your account has enough to repay what he owes they are able to take it as his name is on the account.
    SPARKY62 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by castilloi
    I have a joint bank account with my husband. The account was seized and they have it blocked. That was my money but the seize was against him what do I do?
    Your both responsible , it`s like a co signer , sorry!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Most state allow third party claim which will be you, file claim in the court and motion to quash the garnishment against the joint account.

SHow the court what part of the account is yours and what is his.

Do not put anymore fund in the account.
    cwilkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 12:16 PM
    I have a joint account with my mom. Two years ago she had credit card judgment. I have a check to deposit into that account, a large amount, can money be taken from this account?
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Yes cwilkins-they can take the money from that account. You probably should ask this question as a separate thread.
    TxSky Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilkins
    I have a joint account with my mom. Two years ago she had credit card judgment. I have a check to deposit into that account, a large amount, can money be taken from this account?
    It depends on your state, but probably.

Instead of putting a large check in her account, open your own account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a online bank account like ING or Paypal be seized? [ 10 Answers ]

The title pretty much sums up my question but ill elaborate... A court found me and my brother guilty of owing back rent. Long story short we had a verbal agreement with the plaintiffs nephew to pay X amount of money a month in rent and we always paid. In essence we we're subleasing. The nephew...

Bank account seized.. Debt almost gone. [ 13 Answers ]

The company handling my account is Rubin&Rothman for Ford Motor Credit. I voluntarily surrendered a vehicle to the dealership as instructed by FMC about six years ago. I owed $6,000 after the vehicle was re-sold. Unable to pay the $300/month they were demanding, they froze my bank account. I...

Can my out of state bank account be seized? [ 4 Answers ]

Back on 3/11/05 a small claims judgment was filed against me and my brother in the state of New York for back rent in the amount of $2023. At the time we had no idea what to do about it (still don't actually) but we knew we weren't guilty so we showed up to court only to be ignored though the whole...

Can a online bank account like ING or Paypal be seized? [ 9 Answers ]

The title pretty much sums up my question but ill elaborate... A court found me and my brother guilty of owing back rent. Long story short we had a verbal agreement with the plaintiffs nephew to pay X amount of money a month in rent and we always paid. In essence we we're subleasing. The nephew...

Can my out of state bank account be seized? [ 1 Answers ]

Back on 3/11/05 a small claims judgment was filed against me and my brother in the state of New York for back rent in the amount of $2023. At the time we had no idea what to do about it (still don't actually) but we knew we weren't guilty so we showed up to court only to be ignored though the whole...

View more questions Search