Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ferronsmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 04:41 PM
    How to wire a regular light fixture when box has 4 wires
    I am trying to install a basic ceiling light to a electric box with 4 wires. (Black, White, Red and Ground) I just moved into the house. The wires were left bare with no light attached. There are two switches that control the light. So I assume that the wiring is for 3 way switches. But not sure how I connect the wires to the new fixture. Since it appears they ran the wires from the switch to box in correctly.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 6, 2013, 04:56 PM
    First off, they should not have left you with and open box and no fixture. From everything I know this is illegal and unsafe. Did you just buy this house?

Sounds to me like everything is fine and there are two switches to this box, such as for a fan/light switched separately.
    I'm also not sure why you think there is a 3-way. Is there another switch that controls this light.

Do you own a tester?

May 6, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Didn't buy it is a house that we are renting. The previous tenants trashed it. We made a deal to do some of the work for the landlord.
    Yes there are two separate switches to the box. Each on opposite walls so the light can be turned on or off from either wall.
    I do own a tester.

May 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
    I'm sorry, regardless of your deal with the owner there is no way you should be doing any electrical work in this place. You obviously have little to no experience and this is a place you will only occupy for a short time, and you are not the owner. Tell the cheapskate to do the right thing and hire an electrician when work like this needs to be done.

I cannot in good conscience give any further advice on this.
    I also have not one shred of tolerance for slumlords.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:49 PM
    I would have to agree. Renters should not do repair work because it can come back and bite you and is likely unsafe. You could be held liable is the house burns or someone down the road gets hurt because of your wiring. " Since it appears they ran the wires from the switch to box in correctly. " I am left wondering how you would know this if you do not know how to wire a fixture. Please get help from someone on site who has done electrical work before.

May 6, 2013, 06:52 PM
    I appreciate the advice but wish people would not be so quick to judge. I know there are many slumlords that take advantage of their tenants. This landlord would have done the work but I offered to do it myself. Admittedly I am no expert. Though I doubt most who ask questions on this site could call themselves an expert. That said I have done my fair share of electrical work. I was a home owner in the past. In that house I replace light fixtures, outlets, etc. Most of the projects were simple enough with a little research, safety and common sense. In the past I was able to find a book or wiring diagram showing how the wiring should be safely installed.
    I say that it appears that this fixture is wired incorrectly after researching the multiple ways wiring may come from 2 (three way switches) to a box for a fixture. The problem is none of the examples I found showed what I found in the box. The closest I found was where the (Red, Black, White and neutral wires ran to the fixture box from both switches and connected at the box. Making (Two red, two white, Two Black and two ground)
    I came to this site hoping for guidance as to why it would be wired this way. Only to find out if it was safe and then how to install the fixture. Then if found out the wiring was not safe, have the landlord bring in licensed electrician to fix it properly.
    I understand everyone's concern about a novice attempting to do wiring. Still I feel a little insulted that the responses seem to imply I know nothing at all. I thought this was a forum that allowed a novice to ask questions when they run across something unfamiliar. Sorry for wasting your time.

May 7, 2013, 03:24 AM
    I understand everyone’s concern about a novice attempting to do wiring. Still I feel a little insulted that the responses seem to imply I know nothing at all.
    Well, when you ask an extremely basic question it does tend to give this impression.
    Even so, needing a book or wiring diagram to find a way to wire something does not guaranty safety, and IMO precludes you from doing work in other people's houses.

I thought this was a forum that allowed a novice to ask questions when they run across something unfamiliar.
    It certainly is. Unfortunately your situation nullifies this also in IMO.
    Sorry you felt insulted. It does not change my feelings though.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 7, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Most State and Local code forbid tenants from doing electrical work in an apartment.

Also, landlords, even those living on premises are not allowed to do electrical.

A licensed electrician must be used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light fixture with 3 wires to a 2 wire connection box [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new ceiling pendant that has 3 wires labeled L, N and the 3rd has a T shaped symbol on it. My ceiling connection box only has 2 wires.What do I need to do?

Old ceiling box wiring for light fixture--6 wires [ 0 Answers ]

I've searched for answers here and elsewhere but haven't seen this exact configuration. Box has: 3 sets of black/white wires. 2 sets are old fabric covered and 1 set are newer covered in plastic---maybe this set goes to the switch? 2 fabric covered whites are connected to the plastic covered...

How to wire a light fixture with red black and white wires [ 2 Answers ]

Installing outdoor light fixture. Fixture has a white, a black and a green ground wire. There are two switches and a sensor in the garage. The wiring on the wall outside the house to the fixture has a red, a black and a white wire. How should the wires be connected for proper operation of the...

How to wire a new ceiling fixture in an old box with four wires [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a home built in the 1950s and am trying to change a simple ceiling fixture. My husband disconnected the old fixture from the ceiling, but neglected to see how it was connected. :o my question is this: I'm trying to hook up a new fixture with just one black, one white and one...

View more questions Search