Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walterh60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Whirlpool hot water heater pilot turns off
    My Whirlpool Hot Water Heater, turned 3 years old in October of 2012, does something that is fasinating and yet annoying. After a long burn, ie: someone takes a shower, the pilot light no longer engulfs the thermacouple. Therefore, about 15 seconds after the burner turns off, the pilot does as well. You can relight the pilot immediately after this but the flames still does not engulf the thermacouple so it will not stay on. If you wait 1-2 minutes after the pilot tunrs off to relight it, it works... until the next time the burner kicks on. I have tried letting the burner burn for a few minutes and then turn the temp down until it shuts off and the pilot stays on... it is only after the long burns that the piot flame gets mal-adjusted. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2013, 06:25 AM
    You need to either clean the jet or adjust the pressure for the flame. There is an adjustment screw on the gas valve. Alternately, you need to check the gas pressure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Water Heater - pilot light won't start [ 13 Answers ]

I have Whirlpool Water Heater (MOD#: BFG1F4040S3NOV) We shut it off to bug-bomb the garage... and now the pilot light won't turn back on... I think it is a problem with the Thermal Switch... the switch reset button has no tension on it - it slides slightly in and out without resistance... ...

Water Heater Pilot Light turns off when gas valve is turned to on [ 2 Answers ]

Upon some investigation with the problem with my water heater, at this point it sounds like a bad thermocouple. But the one characteristic of the problem I haven't found an answer to is I can get the pilot light on(if I wait several hours, I get a good strong blue flame. If I wait only a few...

Whirlpool Gas Water Heater Pilot Light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool 40 gallon water heater, when attempting to light the burner, the pilot light goes out when the reset button is released. (After holding the reset button down for the required amount of time). Does anyone know what's going on?

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Hot water Heater turns itself off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an A. O. Smith Power Shot Power House GPSH 50 water heater. I noticed that I had no hot water. I found that the unit cycles off and on and then the vacation lit stays lit and the unit stays off. It is a gas hot water heater but does not use a flame. The unit is about 5 years old.

View more questions Search