Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ejcoolio4500 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 07:11 AM
    How do I ask my mum for a padded bra
    I am 10 almost 11 and I know I need a bra. I would like a padded one and my best friend thinks I need one.
    My mum is a little bit protective and I feel so embarrassed about asking her for one. How can I ask my mum for a padded bra?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 07:45 AM
    At 10 you don't need a padded bra, you need a training bra.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 4, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Why do you need a padded bra? You may need a bra, but not one with padding.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 09:27 AM
    No 11 year old child needs to make herself look bigger in the chest than she really is. When you're 20 you can get a padded bra. At your age you need a training bra. If you're ready to get a bra (by ready I mean in need of a bra) then sit down with mom, tell her why you feel you need one, and see how it goes. Mom will know if you actually need one.

Many kids come to this site at your age asking this question. I often wonder if it's actually the need for a bra, or wanting to look older than you are. You have your entire life to wear a bra. If you don't need one yet, don't be in too much of a hurry to get one. They're not nearly as fun as young girls think they are.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I often wonder if it's actually the need for a bra, or wanting to look older than you are.
    Or keeping up with the Joneses.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Ok, this is coming from the father of a daughter with not a large experience with adolescent breast development, so correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I've seen, young girls bud in different ways. Some develop rounded breasts, others more pointed buds. A thin training bra doesn't hide the shape of the breast so that certain types of buds may stick out and be embarrassing to a young girl. So they may want a padded bra to hide the buds and present a more rounded shape. Not to make their breasts look larger.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, this is coming from the father of a daughter with not a large experience with adolescent breast development, so correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I've seen, young girls bud in different ways. Some develop rounded breasts, others more pointed buds. A thin training bra doesn't hide the shape of the breast so that certain types of buds may stick out and be embarrassing to a young girl. So they may want a padded bra to hide the buds and present a more rounded shape. Not to make their breasts look larger.
    You are right Scott, and had the OP posted "I'm developing but my breasts are a weird shape and I'm embarrassed" I wouldn't have a problem with a very small padded bra. But it doesn't sound (and yes, I'm reading between the lines) like that's the issue. It sounds like her friends all have padded bras, so she wants one too.

There are many different types of training bras, not all are thin material. Those are more like undershirts, not an actual bra. A real training bra will be thicker material, and will give you a nice shape, so no real padding needed.

Here's a good training bra that will offer some shape if that's the issue. It does have light padding in it, to camouflage odd shaped breasts, without enhancing the size :

Google Image Result for http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_653293801%3Fwid%3D400%26hei%3D400

This is a padded training bra:

Google Image Result for http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_505269701%3Fhei%3D315%26wid%3D315%26op_s harpen%3D1%26resMode%3Dsharp%26op_usm%3D0.9,0.5,0, 0

Unless the OP is very developed, I don't think she needs the padded option above. The first one should do just fine.

Just my opinion, and I'm not only a female, but also have a 10 year old girl. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Yep the first example is the type of thing I was thinking of. Yes its unclear whether the OP is looking to enhance her shape or blur it. I just wanted to suggest the other possibility.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Or you get a regular bra, training or otherwise, with "petals" (either built in or with velcro) that center over the nipples.

I'm a jogger - petals keep nipples from getting irritated, cover up nipples when the bra and top are light colored, give a more rounded shape.

Whenever it's "how to ask my mother" I figure Mom hasn't noticed so it's not an appearance issue.

(Note to Alty - your daughter is 10. My bras are 10. What a coincidence!)
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Or you get a regular bra, training or otherwise, with "petals" (either built in or with velcro) that center over the nipples.

I'm a jogger - petals keep nipples from getting irritated, cover up nipples when the bra and top are light colored, give a more rounded shape.

Whenever it's "how to ask my mother" I figure Mom hasn't noticed so it's not an appearance issue.

(Note to Alty - your daughter is 10. My bras are 10. What a coincidence!)
    LOL! Thankfully my daughter is a far way from needing even an undershirt. But all girls develop at different rates. I didn't start until I was a teen.

I like the idea of the petals. For me, when I hear padded bra, I think of the second example I posted, and that's not something any 10 year old should be wearing, but it is made for young girls. I think it's inappropriate for a child. The first picture I posted has more of a petal, not actual padding. I think that's much more appropriate for an 11 year old girl, and if the girl is worried about the shape of her budding breasts, that will cover up enough to hide any "imperfections".

I do agree Judy. I, as a mom to a daughter, wouldn't need to be asked by my daughter for a bra. I would notice, and I'd be the one approaching her saying that it's time. Every time I read a post like this I automatically think that this is a matter of want, not need. Either that or the child has a very oblivious mother. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I old enough to have a padded bra? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 12 years old in 6 grade. One day at school my friends and I were talking about bras and they all said that they wear bras and they are 11 and I said I didn't wear padding. They said why? 6 grade is the time. I was embarrassed. I feel that I am ready so I asked my mom and she didn't say...

I'm 10 and don't know how to ask my mom for a padded bra [ 9 Answers ]

I'm to scared she's going to say no. I've been wearing sports bras for a year now and my friends are wearing padded bras when they don't need to they just don't want to be made fun of for having a flat chest. Some even wear 3 padded bras at the same time. I need to wear one now though I'm devolping...

My mum said she's going to buy me my first bra! [ 19 Answers ]

Help me I have wanted one for a while and I guess I sort of need one but I'm scared now help!!

View more questions Search