Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tikkawillow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Combi boiler: Hot water but no heating
    Hi,

Our boiler has started to act up on us. I had the heating on constant the other day. I was up in the bathroom and heard a strange sound coming from the boiler. I ran the hot tap to wash my hands and the water spurted out and it was brown in colour.

The boiler had locked out. I tried turning on the heating again but the pipes made a funny sound before the boiler locked out again.
    It's working fine for hot water but any time we try to turn it on for heating the pressure gauge shoots up to 4 before the pipes start to rattle.

We're just back from holidays and our cat was very ill so we can't afford to pay for a plumber until next week but I was hoping somebody could tell us what they think it is and if we could fix it ourselves or how much we would expect to pay.

The gas boiler is a potterton combi 80.
    Many thanks,
    Pam:)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 11:46 PM
    You better call for service before more damage is done.
    Tikkawillow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Can you give me any indication as to what the problem may be?

Thank you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
    You have a pump that circulates water through the radiators. It sounds like it has a problem, perhaps something blocking its outlet. Look for an electric motor with something on the end of it with pipes in and out. With the power off, try to turn any of the shaft coming out of the pump. If it doesn't turn easily, you have found the problem. I am not sure repairing or replacing the pump is a good DIY starter project. Maybe a little oil in a cap near the end of the motor would be all it takes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

Hammering in my hot water heating boiler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a zoned in floor hot water heating system that is hammering. The system hammers in the boiler when I have only one zone on. When more than one zone calls for heat, then there is no hammering. * I have installed spiro vents to remove all of the air. * I have checked the pump, and it is...

Combi boiler keeps cutting out [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem with my combi boiler. For the last couple of days it's been cutting out after 10 minutes or so, then I have to wait about another 10 minutes before it will successfully re-ignite. We have no central thermostat, and all the radiators have individual thermostatic controls. ...

Boiler pressure and Hot water [ 3 Answers ]

My boiler loses pressure daily. It was suggested that there might be a leak somewhere but I'm pretty sure there isn't. There is no evidence of water anywhere. It seemed to be working OK with a regular top up of the pressure. However, not sure if this is related but the water pressure from the...

Combi boiler water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a combi boiler and every time I use it I have to use the valve until the water pressure gaige shows a safe level as every time I turn the boiler off it goes to zero. Is this a problem with the water board or my boiler?

View more questions Search