Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
    I'm sorry - did someone ask if this might be a violation of Federal Law?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    apologize if I offended you.
    None taken.

The difference is this:

What you first posted suggested that someone would be breaking the law if he had a firearm in his vehicle, unless certain exceptions apply. Not so.

The law that you and I nailed down is the concealed weapon/ concealed carry permit statute for Virginia. It states that (absent a CC permit or other exceptions) it is illegal to carry a weapon, concealed, and "about the person".

First, the law as quoted clearly does not prohibit the transport of a weapon in plain view (as in a gun rack in the back window of a pickup, for example), as you first suggested.

Now, it is arguable that a firearm hidden in a vehicle but in easy reach of the driver (glove box, under the seat, etc.) would be "about the person". I would argue that is not what it means. However, out of caution, some legislator added the specific exceptions you noted. But I suggest that if it is not on the person other places in the vehicle would be legal even if not covered by those specific exceptions.

It is unfortunate that OP has not seen fit to come back and give us the juicy details.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm sorry - did someone ask if this might be a violation of Federal Law?
    Not likely unless OP was, when arrested, a convicted felon; the weapons were fully automatic or otherwise prohibited weapons; or OP was stopped on a Federal reservation..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex felons, guns [ 5 Answers ]

Allowed to hunt,possess firearm in pa. ?

Guns and Felons [ 4 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony live in a house where there is a gun? My spouse is considering purchasing a gun. The gun would be locked. I served my sentence (non-violent crime) 5 years a go. I now reside in NJ

T.I guns [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering what guns it was specifically that the rapper T.I got busted having I saw the pictures but could only identify the 44. the calico 9mm and the uzis.

No guns are to be where son is cared for. In laws have guns [ 3 Answers ]

The court papers say that there are to be no firearms anywhere that my son is being cared for. My son is 5, my ex wants to take him out of state to see his family for 4 days. His father has 5 guns, including 2 that belong to my ex. His mother and sisters all have guns... There is a currant...

UN wants your guns 7/04/06 [ 47 Answers ]

Read the following, wake up everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Link: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul330.html

View more questions Search