Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronwins3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Bad job referral, is this slander?
    Hi, my wife recently received a bad job referral from a previous employer who is trying to keep her from getting hired by a competitive business. The new prospective employer said had it not been for the referral, they wanted to hire her. What recourse do we have?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Was what was written in the referral true? I don't think you have stated that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Hello ron:

Probably wasn't slander, and that's good because slander is very hard to prove. But, it certainly could be a tort by any number of different names. I would visit an employment attorney.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2007, 06:11 AM
    If the reference was factual you have NO recourse. If they lied you can sue for slander or libel (depending on whether the reference was verbal or written).
    AlanKinNA Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwins3
    Hi, my wife recently received a bad job referral from a previous employer who is trying to keep her from getting hired by a competitive business. The new prospective employer said had it not been for the referral, they wanted to hire her. What recourse do we have?
    If you know the words spoken by the former employer, and you would claim they are not true, I am sure you could make record of a protest to the (false) statements. If the statements by the employer are true, unexagerrated, then... how can you deny them? Hope that doesn't hurt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 06:17 AM
    A job referral as long as it is true can be done, If they are lying, then you have a case, But you will have to prove what was said, and also prove it is a lie.

As long as it is true, a bad job reference is acceptable
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Hello again, ron:

What has been said here, is true. If your wife was a nogoodnik, then you don't have a legal claim. However, you state quite clearly that your wife was badmouthed to keep her from working for a competitor.

IF that's the reason (and I believe you), then she DOES have a case. If you sued for slander, then the specific words they used will come into play. You're going to have find out exactly what those words were (not an easy task), then you'll have to prove the words weren't true (an even harder task).

That's why slander isn't it. Defamation of character might be it (your lawyer will give it a name). But, it doesn't matter what you call the tort. What matters is that you kick that liars butt.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slander or just a bad reference [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I found out the General Manager of a former employer told a potential employer that I was a "trouble maker" and He recommended she "DO NOT HIRE" me. Before she checked with my former employer, this potential employer was very impressed by my qualifications and was talking to me as if I...

Bad color job [ 1 Answers ]

I normally dye my hair Light Auburn by Loreal Preference, but decided to try something a little redder. (Garnier Nutrisse Pomegranate) I absolutely hate it, it's too dark and so unnatural looking. Applying my normal auburn over it did nothing to it. How can I get back the color I want before...

Referral bonus [ 3 Answers ]

Ihave received a referral bonus of 2000 this month. My friend wanted to split this bonus 40/60. 40 percent for me after taxes. Now, am I not losing money on this? Thanks.

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

View more questions Search