Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Exciting and scary. Wish me luck.
    After many years of hard labor the time has come for me to buy out my boss's plumbing and heating business of 35 years. I will be away from AMHD for a week or so, as I am taking a much needed vacation before the papers are signed. Wish me luck, and thanks to all of you on the plumbing and heating pages for always being here for me when I needed you most. Have a great one, take care.
    Lee.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 2, 2013, 04:55 PM
    I do wish you the very best of luck Lee. Be prepared to work harder than ever.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Hey Lee!
    Let me be the first to wish you good luck in your new venture. Speaking from experience you never work harder when you work for yourself. Have a great vacation and hurry back, You'll be missed at The Plumbing Page. All the beat! Tom
    Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Thanks guys. I figure I am pretty much going to double by workload. 60/40 split (in theory). 60% working with the tools (what I have always done) and 40% at the books. Welcome back 80+ hour weeks, yay! We shall see how accurate those figures are, huh?
    Lee.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Congratulations Lee, best of luck with the business. Lot harder than answering questions on AMHD, Brian
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 3, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Hi Lee

Congrats. and good luck with it, but do be careful and do NOT work more than you manage the company... a common mistake new business owners make.

Be a manager 1st and then a worker as needed, but managing the business and any people in your employ should be the priority!!

Mark
    Plumbing Expert

May 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Thanks for the info, Mark. I believe you on that. My boss hasn't worked with the tools for years, and is in that shop 7 days a week just running the business. Im realizing there is a ton more involved than meets the eye.

Thanks again for the well wishes everybody. Im off to vaca tomorrow morning, so see you when I get back.
    Lee.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
    A one man business spending 30 hours/week on bookkeeping and estimates? Not with the times. Get the right software and do it 2 hours day x 5 days, plus phone calls 1 hr/day.
    Plumbing Expert

May 3, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Who said it was a one man business? Yes, it is a "small" business, but I will be in charge of every aspect of the business from top to bottom. I will be the secretary, the book keeper, the laborer, the janitor, the master plumber, the customer support representative, the estimator, the shrink (for some employees), the security, the bad guy, the good guy, and everything in between. Trust me, this will take much more than thirty hours a week!

But QuickBooks sure does help, lol.

Lee.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 3, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Huge advantage you have is that it is already an established - and running business, so you can concentrate on managing it rather than looking for contracts to keep your employees busy. In any case, best of luck to you - and keep us updated how's going ! Best. Milo
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 4, 2013, 12:28 AM
    Wish you the best with this endeavour.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2013, 07:05 AM
    To me, any business over one person is huge!
    Best of luck. Mostly not luck, I know.
    You could hang that list of 'jobs' on the wall. Don't forget shrink to customers.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 4, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Best wishes. I admire anyone willing to launch out into being self-employed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Its bad but why we take it so exciting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi it's a ridiculous post... As I am a married woman of 35 (look too young of my age).. I got married to man 7 yrs elder to me selected by my parents... I was happy with him he is good we went abroad where he works.. and after birth of my first child 12 years before he sent me back to my home...

My husband always wants something exciting, how do I fulfill this [ 1 Answers ]

Something exciting in the bed like he wants me play role as if we've just met or a doctor and patient, etc. we enjoy our sex but just to make it more exiting he does so. Normally I don't have much ideas and he expects me to do something new,so to impress him what more exiting things can I do,...

Suggestions for scary movies;'proper' scary [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I've been looking for a really scary movie - really scary, the kind that you can't sleep for days(or maybe just one day.. ) after watching. I haven't really watched many but I've realized that most of which I watch are more.. well, funny than scary. So, I'd really like suggestions for...

View more questions Search