Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlie05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Advice on excel
    Hi,

I have data-forms containing employee data in different sheets in an excel workbook, it is set up for each employee to have his own sheet/form. Forms are all the same with the same information variables in the same cells.

I which to include an overview sheet, containing a table that summarizes all information, in order to populate it with data I was thinking of doing something like:
    If cell "employee number" (I would manually enter the employee number into that cell, or just build in a list) is equal to a specific sheet with that employee number as a name, then return the information according to the position on that sheet, for each column heading. Then just drag those down, instead of linking each cell individually.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work? Or perhaps a better way of setting up this info? Most of the info entered on the individual sheets give the employees points, meaning there will be a formula calculating the points and on the main sheet you would see the result.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 2, 2013, 07:37 AM
    You can use the "indirect" method of addressing cells in other sheets. For example: suppose you have sheets named after employee IDs, let's say one sheet is named "2001" and another is named "2002," and suppose cell A1 in both sheets has data that you want to copy to the summary sheet. You can create a list in column A of the employee nmbers - so that cell A1 is 2001 and cell A2 is 2002. Then in cell B1 you use the formula: =indirect(A1 & "!a1"), and that will put the contents from cell A1 on sheet 2001 into cell B1 of the summary. Copy and paste cell B1 to B2 and it automatically becomes =indirect(A2 & "!A1"), so you get the data from sheet 2002 in cell B2. Hope this helps.

May 2, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Thank you very much, ebaines... just got it to work, exactly what I was looking for!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Frankly, I would NOT do this in Excel. Excel is not the best tool for managing data. Excel is a number cruncher, not a data manager. You would be better off using Microsoft Access (if you have it) or some other database tool.

May 2, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Frankly, I would NOT do this in Excel. Excel is not the best tool for managing data. Excel is a number cruncher, not a data manager. You would be better off using Microsoft Access (if you have it) or some other database tool.
    Yes thank you Scott, I have considered or more so feared that as well... problem is I feel pretty much at home in excel as a user, however have never used Access or any other database program... if you could point me towards an easy entry to Access file I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Charlie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie05 View Post
    Yes thank you Scott, I have considered or moreso feared that as well... problem is I feel pretty much at home in excel as a user, however have never used Access or any other database program... if you could point me towards an easy entry to Access file I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Charlie
    Access has some templates that can be used to keep track of employees. Depends on what your needs are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect one excel sheet to other excel sheet [ 28 Answers ]

How to connect one excel sheet to other excel sheet.

How to link multiple excel sheets to one main source excel sheet [ 7 Answers ]

I have a master price list and multiple ( individule ) sheets for customers.. I would like to , when input data in the price list to link and update to all other sheets... ( I do not want to have a source sheet with tabs) Thanks

I want to get your advice, to make sure I am giving the correct advice [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mine emailed me her question, knowing that I have gone through the custody thing before myself. She asked me when she can file abandonment on her sons father. I want to run by you what I am emailing her back to make sure I give her the correct information. Thank you for your help :)

How to use excel 2007 & mail merge to generate pay advice for employees. [ 1 Answers ]

I use this function to issue a letter to employees detailing their salary earnings & deductions. Problem is that all the fields (including unwanted fields)in excel workshhet appears in pay advice.(eg. "loan installement" print in pay advice as zero,for those who not obatained loans also.) .I tried...

Excel 2007 to have excel 2003 look? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I have Microsoft Excel 2007, from my course at college I have been given instructions to do a task. However these instructions are for excel 2003. How do I change my excel 07 to look like excel 03 so that it is easier. I know there is a way, help greatly appreicated thanks.

View more questions Search