Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexandergre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 04:39 AM
    What are requirements to be a cintizen, in your opinion?
    To be a citizen in one European country, ex: sweden, germany, uk, spain,.
    Which requirements do you think are reasonable to set?
    Do you think that the person(incl. immigrated people, ) who wants to be citizen in one country most know the language of the country and do the language test?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandergre
    do you think that the person(incl. immigrated people, ) who wants to be citizen in one country most know the language of the country and do the language test?
    I agree with that.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Yes, they should know the language, unless its refugees or something, at least a basic understanding of the main language of the country they are trying to move to and should take courses to have a working knowledge of the language.

Why do you ask?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 06:16 PM
    People should not have to know the language. When enough of them enter a country the government should expand the school system to teach every one in the country the new language and to have teachers that speak the new language to teach the immigrants in their native tongue. It is the only fair thing to do for the dear immigrant darlings. Plus, the government should change all of the road signs, transit signs and government forms so they are in the other languages as well. Hospitals, stores and all public places should accommodate them. By passing the cost on to the tax payers for these changes, we can all be proud that we have done our part. The best case scenario would be to just go to one, universal language. I have adopted my universal language but it is sign language.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 4, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandergre
    To be a citizen in one European country, ex: sweden, germany, uk, spain,....
    which requirements do you think are reasonable to set?
    do you think that the person(incl. immigrated people, ) who wants to be citizen in one country most know the language of the country and do the language test?

That depends on what your concept of citizenship involves.

In my opinion being law abiding if far more important than knowing the language. There are millions of people in the United states who know the language and don't give a frog's fat about the country's laws. Take for example those hiring illegally. They speak perfect English and really don't give a frog's fat about what the law says as long as they can rake in the dough. Prisons are full of USA citizens who can speak good English and who would cut your throat for a few bucks or maybe just for the thrill of seeing you bleed.
    So I would say that knowing the law and being willing to follow it is far more important. Of course knowing the country's language reasonably well is an advantage. But generally speaking, the ones placed at an inconvenience due to language deficiency are the language deficient since their educational and employment options are limited because of it.

BTW
    I don't consider those who claim to be Americans and who try to deprive other citizens of their civil rights as guaranteed by the Constitution real Americans since their ideas don't jive with what America stands for. In my viewpoint being American is not simply having a piece of paper acquired via birth or via examiniations. It's a frame of mind that reflects what America stands for--and it definitely isn't lawlessness via hiring illegally, or racism and bigotry.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Hello alex:

Fortunately, in my country, we don't require anyone to speak.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Requirements to marry an immigrant [ 5 Answers ]

I am wanting to marry an immigrant from Thailand. What requirements are there? I have heard that I must make so much money per year to be able to do that. Is that true? What paperwork is needed? Also, how easy is it for illegal immigrants to marry American citizens? Is anybody checking to see if an...

MD Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone here gone to med school with a non-science background? I have a BBA, and am wondering if I can do med school. Just want to hear what you guys think. Thx

View more questions Search