Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crump4you Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2013, 10:34 AM
    98 saturn SL manual transmisson
    My saturn is stuck in reverse. The gear shifter just moves freely. Can anyone give me any ideas of cheap fixes if posible. I only paid 900 for the car and don't want to put a lot of money into it?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 1, 2013, 01:39 PM
    They use a shifter cable for shifting gears, not a direct link. Check to see if broken or perhaps one of the cable clamps came off. The cable assembly is about $50 on line . You need to remove the carpet, dash parts etc. Not en easy DIY job but doable. Google "Saturn transmission cable installation", there are lots of tips. If you are really lucky, one of the cables just came off the knob. Let us know what you find out.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

May 1, 2013, 04:48 PM
    It's either the bushing or a broken eyelet in the console area. Broken bushing is most common. Remove console and examine cable and eyelet. If the shifter is disconnected from the cable, it's the bushing. Here's a guy that makes replacement bushings so you don't have to replace the entire cable.

Shifter Cable Bushing replacement End Loop - SaturnFans.com Classifieds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transmission Problems 98' Saturn SL Manual [ 8 Answers ]

It is either my transmission or my clutch. I have problems shifting, its like the transmission has resistance, not grinding. When I start and try to put it in 1st I have to be rolling forward or it is really hard and I have to try a couple of times. Plus shifting through the rest of the gears is...

Saturn in Virgo in the fourth house with a current Saturn return [ 3 Answers ]

I have Saturn in Virgo in the fourth house with a current Saturn return, any thoughts on this and its effects on my chart specifically? My natal chart: Planetary positions Planet sign degree motion Sun Sagittarius 22°20'54 in house 6 direct Moon Libra 29°19'23 in house 5 direct...

Light over transmisson [ 1 Answers ]

Transmisson Problem [ 3 Answers ]

2003 will not go forward in drive, it will go in reverse, it will drive in the low gears 3rd, 2nd and 1st but it will not in drive (it will after the cars been running for awhile but can stop sometimes) What do you think it is:confused: Transmission filter? Time for a rebuilt one to be put in?...

View more questions Search