Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daniel19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Positive ETG after NyQuil consumption
    Probation says they can retest to confirm it was NyQuil and not alcohol. What test would that be and what do they test for?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Why should that really matter to you? Are you lying to them about the Nyquil and you're worried they will find out?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:45 PM
    Not sure what test that is. Doesn't matter if you're telling the truth. :)

Apr 30, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Why should that really matter to you? Are you lying to them about the Nyquil and you're worried they will find out?
    It doesn't because I am telling the truth. Just trying to understand how it works.

Apr 30, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Not sure what test that is. Doesn't matter if you're telling the truth. :)
    True
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel19 View Post
    It doesn't because I am telling the truth. Just trying to understand how it works.
    Don't really know. Sadly our ETG expert hasn't been on site for many months.

I do know that anything with alcohol (hand sanitizer, mouth wash, nyquil, etc) can show positive on an ETG. I'm unaware of any test that can differentiate between them. Obviously there must be, if they're testing you for it.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Or they are just lying to you to see if you would confess to them.

I am curious though, after they do this new test to you, please come back and let us know about it.

Apr 30, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Don't really know. Sadly our ETG expert hasn't been on site for many months.

I do know that anything with alcohol (hand sanitizer, mouth wash, nyquil, etc) can show positive on an ETG. I'm unaware of any test that can differentiate between them. Obviously there must be, if they're testing you for it.
    Yes I agree but even the place I do my testing doesn't think it exists. Got my inquisitive nature up and can't find any search info.

Apr 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
    Or they are just lying to you to see if you would confess to them.

I am curious though, after they do this new test to you, please come back and let us know about it.
    Will do and will continue to look for info.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 07:00 PM
    My guess is that probation was lying to you to get you to admit to them that it wasn't Nyquil. They play some underhanded games.

Apr 30, 2013, 07:05 PM
    My guess is that probation was lying to you to get you to admit to them that it wasn't Nyquil. They play some underhanded games.
    LOL wouldn't be the first time. ;-)
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel19 View Post
    LOL wouldn't be the first time. ;-)
    I would suggest that from now on, if you're going to take medication, go to a doctor, get a note, even if it's for nyquil. Take pictures of you taking the nyquil if you have to. Anything to confirm that you're telling the truth.

If you're not drinking, you shouldn't be dinged for taking a common cold medication. But sadly, that's how it works. Like I said before, there are so many every day items that can cause you to fail an ETG. Document, document, document, and try to avoid those items if you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can nyquil show up on EtG tests [ 2 Answers ]

Just took an EtG test had 3 beers the night before and wondering if I fail it I could blame it on nyquil

ETG--Albuterol and Nyquil [ 1 Answers ]

Would either Albuterol, Chlorhexidine or Nyquil pills show on an ETG? Thanks

EtG Test 62 hours after consumption [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, Dr. Bill, I am a 115 pound, 5'3 female with a relatively high metabolism. I drank one small glass of wine (in a champagne flute) 2 Pabst Blue Ribbon beverages in 16 ounce glasses and 3 Bud Light in 16 ounce plastic cups. I began drinking at 5:00 p.m. and ceased at 7:00 p.m. on a Friday...

EtG test accuracy if taking cough syrup (NyQuil)? [ 26 Answers ]

I took an ETG test this morning and I've been taking NyQuil because of an aweful cold for the past week (nighttime with 10% alcohol). I showed the bottle to the tester... But I'm still scared. Anyone know if I should relax... I have to wait all weekend...

ETG testing and consumption [ 1 Answers ]

I drank one half a beer, about twelve hours later I was given a UA. It was diluted (didnt mean to -really!) anyway, now my sample is going in for testing. Do you think susbtantial amount will show? I am in Drug Court. Thank you

View more questions Search