Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dresmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Chest pain
    I have been having chest pains and my stomach gets upset it just comes and goes what should I do
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 30, 2013, 07:01 AM
    Chest pains can be as minor as gas or muscle strain, all the way to heart attack.
    Stomach ache can be as minor as gas, something you ate didn't agree with you, or a 3 day virus, all the way to ulcers and gallbladder attacks to a MILLION other things.
    If they happen together, I might make a GUESS to gall bladder, but please don't go by that. What if it is your heart?

WOMEN have different heart attack symptoms from men, often. I'd tell you to look up the signs but it's better to see your doctor anyway.

SO... naturally you go to a doctor or clinic, and if you get worse with the chest pain, you call an ambulance or get to an ER.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 07:46 AM
    You would never be in doubt of the symptoms if you were having chest pains from a heart attack. It is a severe radiating pain up the left side of your neck for one.
    current pert

Apr 30, 2013, 08:06 AM
    From the American Heart Association:
    “Although men and women can experience chest pressure that feels like an elephant sitting across the chest, women can experience a heart attack without chest pressure. Instead they may experience shortness of breath, pressure or pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting, upper back pressure or extreme fatigue.”
    Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    From the American Heart Association:
    “Although men and women can experience chest pressure that feels like an elephant sitting across the chest, women can experience a heart attack without chest pressure. Instead they may experience shortness of breath, pressure or pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting, upper back pressure or extreme fatigue.”
    I wasn't disputing your post. I just said that there would be no doubt and everyone should be aware of symptoms.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Many people completely miss heart attack signs and symptoms. I am a Red Cross CPR and AED instructor and many, many first responders who I have tested and recertified have told stories in class about situations in which individuals brushed off concerns that they might have heartburn or other minor issues, and then experienced massive heart attacks. Women do not always have the same signs and symptoms as men and men, too, often miss the signs.

I always teach students in my classes not to "die of embarassment". That is, people know something isn't right but they ignore the symptoms and tend to retreat away from other people, hoping nobody will notice they feel unwell. People do this when first seeing signs of stroke, heart attack and even when they know they are choking - they will run to the restroom of the restaurant to avoid making a scene, where they are far more likely to die since nobody is there to see what's going on and help.

So, you aren't feeling well and you don't know why. It could be serious or could be minor, but either way you need a doctor to figure it out. I would go to the ER with these symptoms but at the very least, call your doctor on the phone and ask what he wants you to do - then do what you're told.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    Many people completely miss heart attack signs and symptoms. I am a Red Cross CPR and AED instructor and many, many first responders who I have tested and recertified have told stories in class about situations in which individuals brushed off concerns that they might have heartburn or other minor issues, and then experienced massive heart attacks. Women do not always have the same signs and symptoms as men and men, too, often miss the signs.

I always teach students in my classes not to "die of embarassment". That is, people know something isn't right but they ignore the symptoms and tend to retreat away from other people, hoping nobody will notice they feel unwell. People do this when first seeing signs of stroke, heart attack and even when they know they are choking - they will run to the restroom of the restaurant to avoid making a scene, where they are far more likely to die since nobody is there to see what's going on and help.

So, you aren't feeling well and you don't know why. It could be serious or could be minor, but either way you need a doctor to figure it out. I would go to the ER with these symptoms but at the very least, call your doctor on the phone and ask what he wants you to do - then do what you're told.
    Good to know you are Red Cross. I am as well, PSW/RNA out in the community about 50 hours week
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Tickle, I'm concerned that you would tell someone that they would never be in doubt of the symptoms if they were having chest pains from heart attack. It happens often, particularly with women. So, again, to the original poster, please get medical attention. It may very well not be heart related but you need to be on the safe side and get checked out.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
    I am concerned that you would say you are concerned, so why would you call someone out who is basically in the same healthcare field as you. I am standing by my post and saying no one could mistake chest pain and radiating pain, male and female.

Was I saying that it didn't need to be check out?

To the OP, sorry this came up between members on a public forum, it doesn't show a lot of respect.

Edit: I actually knew you were going to do this @idontknownuthin
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2013, 04:58 PM
    I teach Red Cross courses as a volunteer, which I want to disclose in the spirit of honesty. It was formerly part of my profession but for a living I am a paralegal, not in a medical field.

That said, I don't know why you "knew" I would take issue with what you said. I did because I think that lives could be lost if people do not get medical care because they are of the impression that they would for sure "know" that they were having a heart attack. Often after a catastrophic event like cardiac arrest occurs, if patients survive, they tell stories of thinking they had heartburn, were having gallbladder issues, had hurt their back or were sick with something else. They often kick themselves wishing they had taken the signs more seriously sooner, and perhaps prevented the full-blown attack they experienced, but they didn't want to "blow things out of proportion" or "make a fuss".

At any rate, I'm not taking issue with your statement to hassle you, but rather to let you know that many people with heart related chest pains attribute those pains to other things, dismiss them or decide not to follow through with medical care because they don't want to be embarrassed for getting help "for nothing". It's dangerous when people igore these signs and they could suffer irreparable long-term cardiac damage or even die if they delay.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:04 PM
    You would never be in doubt of the symptoms if you were having chest pains from a heart attack. It is a severe radiating pain up the left side of your neck for one.
    This is totally and completely inaccurate.

MI symptoms can vary, such as:

In both men and women, MI symptoms can include the following:
    Chest pain. The chest pain may feel like a crushing, squeezing, or "pressure" type feeling. MI pain can be "referred," meaning pain can be caused in one part of the body but felt in another part of the body. Referred MI pain may occur in the left arm, neck, or jaw. Pain may even be felt in the right arm.
    Shortness of breath ( dyspnea).
    Heartburn or indigestion with or without vomiting, shortness of breath, or sweating ( diaphoresis).
    Sudden, cold sweats.
    Sudden lightheadedness.
    Upper back pain.

Women can have unique MI symptoms, such as:
    Unexplained feelings of nervousness or anxiety.
    Discomfort between the shoulder blades ( scapula) or upper back.
    Tingling in the hands and arms.

In elderly people (regardless of gender), MI symptoms can be subtle, such as: Sweating ( diaphoresis).
    Shortness of breath ( dyspnea).
    General tiredness ( fatigue) or not feeling well ( malaise).

Document Released: 12/18/2006 Document Revised: 12/06/2012 Document Reviewed: 05/16/2012
    ExitCare® Patient Information ©2012 ExitCare, LLC.
    People have heart attacks daily who think they are experiencing indigestion, gallstones, etc.

The information I provided above came from Mosby's Nursing Consult. This is information we provide patients at discharge.
    current pert

Apr 30, 2013, 06:10 PM
    In the US we are being inundated with TV ads and those short 'medical news' segments about how women often have none of the usual symptoms of a heart attack. I get the impression that the national medical databases have been changing their ways of gathering data. I have no idea if this is being done in other countries or not.
    Expert

May 1, 2013, 02:34 AM
    @J-9, yes, you have excellent links.

"Referred" pain is also called 'radiating' pain. I have always called it radiating, to the left side of the body, more specifically down the left arm and 'up the side of the neck' more specifically the jaw area.

Not all people have identical symptoms, my husband's heart attack symptom appeared as extreme back pain.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 1, 2013, 06:06 AM
    Tickle, this part of one of your posts is what we are having problems with.

You would never be in doubt of the symptoms if you were having chest pains from a heart attack
    Many people are in doubt of what is going on when they are having a heart attack as the symptoms can be very mild to very painful. People with a high tolerance to pain may not recognize that they are having a MI. Symptoms can be dull to even non-existant in some people.

Case in point... A friend of mine lost her husband last August. He just felt a little under the weather and decided to lie down to watch TV for a while. He died of the Widow Maker.

If symptoms were so obvious, as you suggested prior, then we would have a lower morbidity and mortality rate as people would seek help sooner.
    Expert

May 1, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Tickle, this part of one of your posts is what we are having problems with.

Many people are in doubt of what is going on when they are having a heart attack as the symptoms can be very mild to very painful. People with a high tolerance to pain may not recognize that they are having a MI. Symptoms can be dull to even non-existant in some people.

Case in point.... A friend of mine lost her husband last August. He just felt a little under the weather and decided to lie down to watch TV for a while. He died of the Widow Maker.

If symptoms were so obvious, as you suggested prior, then we would have a lower morbidity and mortality rate as people would seek help sooner.
    Yes, I see your point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chest pain [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I;ve a friend who has chest pain.mainly its either in d right side or the centre and when the pain tends to subside, he feels heaviness in his chest. Sometimes, his limbs get cold and in few minutes he starts sweating n within next few minutes,body temp gets normal.Blood tests n other scans...

What can be done for chest pain feels like my heart going to break threw my chest [ 2 Answers ]

I was sleeping I woke up to take some pain pills for my back. Two hours later I woke back up and it feels like my chest going to explode

Left sided groin pain + dizziness and infrequent chest pain [ 1 Answers ]

I started having pain in the left side of my groin yesterday, it's painful to sit, walk, stand and then today I took my mom to church and during church I had dizziness and severe chest pain. I was able to drive us home luckily, I had another episode of the chest pain when we got to her house and...

Chest pain [ 6 Answers ]

Lately I have been having really bad pains in my left chest. It only occurs when I am eating or drinking something. Most of the time I cannot even finish my meal or drink because the pain is so hurtful. I am a 14 year old female.

View more questions Search