Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naga93 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2013, 03:31 PM
    Mysterious red rain.
    In 2001 at Kerala in India there was a strange phenomenon that is red colored rain after several research scientist conclude that the rain contain micro size life form that is spore the question is where is possibly came from ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
    I hope this is not homework.

"a study commissioned by the Government of India concluded that the rains had been colored by airborne spores from locally prolific terrestrial algae.[5]" Red rain in Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You really need to learn how to Google.

Apr 29, 2013, 04:24 PM
    Nope its not my homework I just want to know
    1102568 Posts: 65, Reputation: -1

Apr 29, 2013, 04:36 PM
    I just did some research. This phenomenon apparently happened in 1896 and 2012 in Kerala too. The events were preceded by storms. The local trees were covered in the same algae that produced the spores called trentepolia. No one can be certain on how all the spores were dispersed into the atmosphere simultaneously, but I am going to take a guess that the storm brought static electricity that either attracted the spores (like hairs attracted on a static wool sweater) or somehow stimulated them to be released into the air and the rains that the storm brought allowed the spores to dissolve, creating red rain.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1102568 View Post
    I just did some reasearch. This phenomenon apparently happened in 1896 and 2012 in Kerala too. The events were preceded by storms. The local trees were covered in the same algae that produced the spores called trentepolia. No one can be certain on how all the spores were dispersed into the atmosphere simultaneously, but I am going to take a guess that the storm brought static electricity that either attracted the spores or somehow stimulated them to be released into the air and the rains that the storm brought allowed the spores to dissolve, creating red rain.
    From Wikipedia -- "Most recently, colored rainfall occurred over Kerala during the summers of 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008,[58] and 2012; since 2001, the botanists have found the same Trentepohlia spores every time.[50] This supports the notion that the lichen spores are a seasonal local environmental feature, rather than Kerala being some kind of a magnet for alien-microbe infested meteors.[50][59][60][61][62]"

Apr 29, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    from Wikipedia -- "Most recently, colored rainfall occurred over Kerala during the summers of 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008,[58] and 2012; since 2001, the botanists have found the same Trentepohlia spores every time.[50] This supports the notion that the lichen spores are a seasonal local environmental feature, rather than Kerala being some kind of a magnet for alien-microbe infested meteors.[50][59][60][61][62]"
    Yes, I think it must be due to seasonal conditions causing storms/heavy rainfall that somehow triggers the trentepohlia algae to release spores into the atmosphere.

Apr 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
    But the spore has high resistance in heat and its DNA is so primitive the cell only know to reproduce and the same phenomenon happen in many country and the cell characteristic is different like in sri lanka at 2013 the outer cell is rich in uranium is it seasonal in other country to .

Apr 29, 2013, 08:15 PM
    The spores come from a known algae (Trentepohlia) so it's characteristics are known, I think sometimes people want it to be supernatural or out-of-this world when really it is probably just natural. All algae is 'primitive' and were among the first living single celled organisms to exist on this planet. The high uranium levels is strange though, and could indicate that the spores came from a meteorite, if it weren't for the fact that the species is identified as a known terrestrial species. Strange things do happen, like fish and frogs falling from the sky, which seem supernatural, when in fact they can be explained by common events like hurricanes at sea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the Difference Between a Rain Cloud vs Clouds that will not produce Rain? [ 1 Answers ]

Aren't they made of the same stuff? Visibly I can see the difference, the rain clouds seem darker but anyway,. What makes them different? Why some give water and some don't?

Cartoon movie about a bear family rain rain go away? [ 4 Answers ]

I use to watch a cartoon movie- probably made in early 80's about a bear family and they sang a whole bunch of nursery rhymes like rain rain go away and I think London bridges... the baby bear was peabody and also a cartoon movie about safety- it had songs about not talking to strangers, what to do...

Horror movie filmed in italy girl in red rain coat dies and haunts parents [ 2 Answers ]

Filmed in the 70's, or 80's. Ghost story, girl is barely seen multiple times By father, always in red rain coat. At the end, He corners her and she faces Him. It freaked me out so bad when I was a kid, I've never seen or heard Of it since. Probably a foreign b-movie

Who sings I'm going to let it rain tell me can you let it rain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to let it rain tell me can you let it rain allnight

Mysterious bites? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and am hoping someone can help me out. Basically, for about the past three months, about every three weeks or so I wake up with bites on my lower legs - although I have had them as high as my hip and lower back. They are so itchy, and are quite big and go really...

View more questions Search