Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccscottsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2013, 08:55 AM
    1099 contract. What are my tax liabilities
    I have just accepted a job on a 1099 contract. I have never done this before and what is the best thing for me to do for taxes? An individual or should I form a corporation? What can I write off since I am payig all of my onw benefits and costs? I have to provide my own vehicle. It is a rotaional job of 15 days on and 13 days off can I write off my plane tickets back to my home? What can I invest in to lower my tax liability? Any advice you can provide would be of great assistance. Thank you. Chris Scott
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 29, 2013, 09:42 AM
    An individual or should I form a corporation?
    I see no reason to be a corporation.
    What can I write off since I am payig all of my onw benefits and costs?
    ANY work related expense. Print out Sch C from IRS.gov.
    I have to provide my own vehicle.
    Then you can deduct it's use (various options).
    It is a rotaional job of 15 days on and 13 days off can I write off my plane tickets back to my home?
    Usually... get all the IRS publications on travel for work, as well as lodging if needed.
    What can I invest in to lower my tax liability? Nothing directly, but you could pay for an hour with a tax advisor. There are many factors about 'tax home' and so on.
    I hope you are charging enough for a contract job, especially one that requires LD travel. You are fully taxed for SS, for starters, no employer paying half. Then you keep every little receipt for every little thing you buy that is work related so that you can deduct it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do limited liabilities companies require a 1099 misc form? [ 0 Answers ]

Do limited liabilities companies require a 1099 misc form?

Tax liabilities of trust [ 5 Answers ]

Tax liabilities of CD's cashed by beneficiaries of trust

Tax in India on 1099 contract position [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All... I will be working with a US based company from India. This company has no presence in India and it seems their lawyers suggested that they should do something called 1099. They will not be deducting taxes from their end. What are the tax implications in India? I will be paid in dollars...

Liabilities during land contract [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering selling a house on a land contract. I have an existing mortgage already. Can I do this? If so, will I be responsible for the property taxes and insurance before my buyer pays off the contract (the time in which I would sign the deed to him)?

View more questions Search