Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rhxk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 08:49 PM
    Water heater problem or gas line problem?
    I have a water heater problem. The pilot keeps going out sometimes after 1 burn, sometimes after few hours, sometimes after few days. I replaced the thermocouple and still the same problem continues. I called GE and they sent a whole new valve. Replaced it and still no solution. Water heater was made in 2007. Is my problem not related to the water heater but maybe the gas line? I have another water heater somewhere else from the same meter and that works fine. The gas dryer from the "bad" line works fine. What else can I try next?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2013, 04:15 AM
    Hi Rhxk and welcome, if the heater is a FVIR you can check and make sure the screens are clean, should have a wrap around band on the bottom and a screen underneath slightly off center. Also check the vent pipe to ensure its clear. Good luck
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 29, 2013, 02:08 PM
    GE hot water heaters are known for this type of problems... We stopped installing them several years ago...

Make sure your vent is clean, unobstructed. Also, make sure water heater intake screens are clean and nothing blocks them. Replace thermocouple. If all OK, than you will have to replace entire Thermostat including Gas Safety Valve.

Back to you. Milo
    Rhxk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
    Thanks for the input fellas.

I have no idea if it's a FVIR (yeah I googled it to learn what it is and I'm not that much of an expert on water heaters to identify what type of a combustion chamber it has). If it helps, it has an igniter on it and it looks very much like the Robertshaw valve. It has the 2 ventilation screens on the bottom for fresh air intake and the outgoing air from the top of the heater all the way up to the roof.

The vent to through the roof is clean. But I haven't checked the intake screens. From what I understand it's beneath the burner inside the chamber. -this'll be interesting to dig for & clean...

I've replaced the thermocouple already (but will try again) and GE sent me a whole new valve. I believe you're calling this the "Thermostat including Gas Safety Valve". It's just like the Robertshaw gas valve.

Thanks again for your input... if this doesn't work I'll just buy a new water heater.
    It seems to me that this is a water heater issue and not a gas-line issue.

Much appreciated for your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help need answer to gas heater or electric problem [ 0 Answers ]

Heating unit would not kick in. AC and fan unit work. When I looked at the main house breakers and I reset the heating unit it would not pop back on. It looked like it was not blown but when I reset it would not stay on. I turned the box off at the outside unit and it still would not reset. ...

Help! Problem finding a natural gas water heater for 4 ft crawl space. [ 0 Answers ]

Looking for a lowboy water heater for a 4 ft crawl space. Currently have a 40 gallon one which is 21 years old! The problem is we want to continue using natural gas one and the only ones we can find are electric. Have been everywhere looking can't be over 35 inches tall and 25 inches in diameter....

Problem gas forced air heater [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn thermostat on it clicks, but no heat. My son turned just the fan on it works, he opened door to heater said the pilot light is ignited and first time the burners came on. They then went out and then wouldn't come back on.

Flexi vs. Black iron gas line to water heater gas valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen gas water heater " install kits" that use the yellow flex appliance line for the gas connection to the gas valve on the water heater. My tank was installed when the house was built and has black iron pipe all the way to the union and into the valve on the tank. I have heard some codes...

Gas wall heater problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my gas wall heater when the tenant moved out. The heater will not turn on when I turn the thermostat to a higher temperature level, so I check to see if the pilot light was lit, it was. Then I touch the 2 wires together from the thermostat to the heater, no ignition. What...

View more questions Search