Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IreneLouise Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2013, 04:37 AM
    We had to install a new lift pump for our basement laundry tub/washing machine. The system worked fine, the pump just needed replacing ) The washer drains to the tub, then to the sealed FloTec lift pump (approx 8 ft lift ). The sure-vent is on about a 2ft vertical PVC pipe out of the pump system.

Now the laundry tub will not drain. If I unscrew the sure-vent there is a rush of air, pump works just fine, and water drains. Is it possible the vent was broken during the reinstall?

Here is a drawing to clarify the before and after piping. I find it hard to believe that by draining to the laundry tub instead of to the stand pipe made a difference. Due to space problems we did the redirection to the laundry tub, but can redo as original if that is the problem.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
    If I unscrew the sure-vent there is a rush of air, pump works just fine,
    Sure sounds like a faulty vent. Replace it with a Studor Vent. Good luck, Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
    AAV's are not designed for use with ejector pumps since they only open 1 way. The vent must be open both ways filling and emptying. Every ejector I have seen is on a dedicated vent line. The reason the old way worked was because it was venting through the p trap of the washer

Apr 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Interesting because this was inspected by the local building dept. Sticker of approval is on the vent pipe so they could not have missed it.

This probably worked OK because of the trap in the washer line. Making the AVV totally irrelevant and draining the trap as the pump ejected.

So we need to extend the vent pipe to outside. Anything special that is needed for this other than PVC pipe?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLouise View Post
    Interesting because this was inspected by the local building dept. Sticker of approval is on the vent pipe so they could not have missed it.

This probably worked OK because of the trap in the washer line. Making the AVV totally irrelevent and draining the trap as the pump ejected.

So we need to extend the vent pipe to outside. Anything special that is needed for this other than PVC pipe?
    Yep, amazing how you can prove laws of Physics without even trying. That would be my guess as I stated before. Also shows you how much they don't know. Extend the PVC pipe through the wall, put a 90 degree ell and then a piece of screen to keep critters out. You shouldn't have too many smells since this is not connected to a sanitary waste vent. Put some bleach in periodically and you should kill all smells.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2013, 05:37 PM
    My bad! I should have asked which vent the AAV's installed on. If on the fixture vent you're OK but if this was installed on the pit vent you will have to remove it and run a dedicated vent out the roof. Let me know, Tom

Apr 27, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Yes looks like we need an outside pump vent. I guess there were enough leaks in the old system that it worked, but it was not installed right. Amazing the building inspector put the Approved sticker about 6 inches away. Off to get PVC pipe tomorrow.

Thanks for the correction.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 29, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Let us know how you make out, Good luck, Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain and vent [ 4 Answers ]

I'm adding a laundry room to my basement and need some help regarding putting in a floor drain. I've attached a picture of what I was considering doing, but I'm having a hard time believing it would be that easy. 1. Do I have to have a floor drain? Is there an alternative? 2. Does the...

My washer drain hose does not fit the standard pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into an apartment and bought a new washer and dryer. They do have hookups in the laundry room, however, the standard pipe in the wall is only 3/4 of an inch in diameter. The washer drain hose is 1 1/4 inches. So there is 1/2 inch space when you put the drain hose over the standard...

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Basement shower drain vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured. A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower. If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to...

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

View more questions Search