Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blakey9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2013, 12:53 AM
    Gaseous Smell in the bathroom
    I was cleaning the bathroom and poured bleach down the toilet. I left it for about half and hour and when I flushed the toilet all the water drained away from the bowl and it made a gurgling noise - now the bathroom has got this dreadful gaseous smell!

The toilet is working now as it should but its such a dreadful smell
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
    all the water drained away from the bowl and it made a gurgling noise
    You have just described a blocked vent. Sounds like suction lowered the trap level and now you have sewer gas in your house. The solution would be to snake the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 16 feet more. Good luck, n Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We have a light "off" odor in our bathroom. It could be sewer, but because it is not strong it is hard to tell. The smell could be something else. Also because it is a faint smell, it is very difficult to identify the source of the smell beyond the room. Here is some back history. We...

Smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I have an issue going on in my vanity, the cupboard is giving off this horrible smell. It's not mould it's something strong, it is some sort of chemical smell. One of the previous owners of my home had placed some tiles on the bottom of the vanity and I thought perhaps, since they were placed...

Is energy released or absorbed when water is changed from a gaseous to a liquid phase [ 1 Answers ]

Is energy absorbed or released when water is changed from a gaseous to a liquid phase

Smell in the bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Live in Georgia where we had the flooding a week ago. Now there's a weird smell in the bathroom. I have not see any signs of leaking or mildew. I went into the attic over the bathroom and the smell isn't as strong up there so it's not coming down from the attic. To me it smells like bugs spray...

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

View more questions Search