Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evorgeloc Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 06:11 PM
    Concrete finishing around toilet flange stub
    I am installing a toilet in my basement. The trench is cut through the concrete, the piping (PVC) is in, and there is a 4" pipe stubbed out for the toilet flange about 5" or so above to floor level. The gravel is backfilled and I am ready to pour the 4" of concrete back to floor level.
    My question is, do I pour the concrete tight up against the toilet sewer stub and then cut off the stub at floor level (plus the thickness of the tile that will be going in)? Also, are there flanges available that have a metal back plate to strengthen the PVC flange? PVC seems to me to be likely to be too weak to really hold well.
    Thanks for any help on this.
    Phil
    >Email Address removed<
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:31 PM
    Hi Phil.

You do not want to have the toilet drain poured directly in concrete. You need to "wrap" the drain with sill seal, cardboard, or equivalent to create a barrier between the pvc and concrete. I suggest wrapping roughly a 1/2 barrier material around the pipe before pouring the concrete. This will allow for room to set your closet flange after the finished flooring is done. Once your concrete is poured, just leave the toilet stub up at five inches above and go on with the rest of your project. Once you get to the point of installing the finished flooring (tile in you case) simply install the tile, then remove the barrier material around the pipe. Next you will use an inside pvc cutter to cut the pipe off to the required height to make your flange sit DIRECTLY ON TOP of the finished flooring. Best result when you do it this way, I promise. Good luck on your project, and please come back with any questions.
    Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am renovating the downstairs bathroom. Concrete floor. I am adding a 2x4 subfloor with plywood on top then tile. I need to raise the flange about 2 1/2 inches. Can I just use extension kits for this? I really don't want to break up the concrete floor to modify the flange.

Howv to fix a toilet flange in concrete [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet flange is lifted by both bolts and I could smell sewer gas can I just screw the flange to the concrete or is there a repair flange I could get

Replacing a toilet flange in a concrete floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a bathroom issue. I recently decided to remodel our downstairs bathroom which is the original bathroom in our house (about 40 years old). When I got to taking the toilet out, I noticed that the flange was completely rusted and had fallen apart but...

Looking for good Advise on replacing toilet flange on concrete slab to install toilet [ 26 Answers ]

To whom it may concern: I got a problem with a toilet that has been rocking and twisting for quite some time until it started leaking and what now I pull up the toilet to find out that the flange is broken on one side. I tried that flange plate from home depo but it won't work because the slab is...

Toilet flange on concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this addressed in another thread, but my question has a twist. When my house was built (bi-level) the lower level was unfinished but I had them rough in plumbing for a 3rd bathroom. I have completed the other rooms, and am now ready to tackle the bathroom. The supply lines are fine, the...

View more questions Search