Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Again, this could only be where I live.
    In library grad school, I often sat next to a woman from Sudbury, Ont. Who was working on a master's degree in library science. That means at least one female library worker in Canada has an MLS.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    In library grad school, I often sat next to a woman from Sudbury, Ont. who was working on a master's degree in library science. That means at least one female library worker in Canada has an MLS.
    One worker in all the libraries in Canada? Ouch.

Well I can guarantee it's not anyone in our library. That leaves a lot of other provinces, with more than one library in each, and only one librarian with an actual degree.

I wonder which lucky province got the one and only library worker with an MLS.

I'm really not discounting what you're saying WG. Really I'm not. But you just admitted that there's at least one library worker in all of Canada with a degree. Do you realize how large Canada is?

I can tell you that the majority of those that work in the libraries in Canada, are students in high school, or retired women with no college degree. Those are not the people that will go out of their way, above their call of duty, to help you.

So, you have to find that one lone librarian with a degree, and then hope that she will actually put in an extra effort, and help you by calling around.

What I'm trying to say WG, is that not everyone is as devoted as you. Yes, you go above and beyond the call. But telling people to go to the library, and expecting other librarians to be as dedicated as you, is not the norm. Most of the librarians are like the ones I've encountered, and will not call for you, or give you any more information other than the area in the library where your info may be located.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
    What I'm trying to say WG, is that not everyone is as devoted as you. Yes, you go above and beyond the call. But telling people to go to the library, and expecting other librarians to be as dedicated as you, is not the norm. Most of the librarians are like the ones I've encountered, and will not call for you, or give you any more information other than the area in the library where your info may be located.
    Every degreed librarian I have ever known -- and I have known many in NY State and Colorado and California and Illinois -- is as devoted as I am and more so. It must be a US thing, that people working in library reference have at least a master's degree (and often a master's in an additional discipline like education or history or psychology).

PM your library info to me, and I will (nicely and gently) check them out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Every degreed librarian I have ever known -- and I have known many in NY State and Colorado and California and Illinois -- is as devoted as I am and more so. It must be a US thing, that people working in library reference have at least a master's degree (and often a master's in an additional discipline like education or history or psychology).

PM your library info to me, and I will (nicely and gently) check them out.
    You'll be disappointed.

Don't mention me by name though. I'd like to continue going there. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:52 PM
    You'll be disappointed.

Don't mention me by name though. I'd like to continue going there. :)
    I was going to give them a list of books to put on reserve for you. :) And several difficult reference questions that they have to call you about for follow up.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Off topic. Time to close.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please Can You Write Me A Song ? [ 2 Answers ]

Heyyaa, Pleasee I Need Help I Have Writers Block . Every time I Write A Song And Sing It Back It's the Worst Song Everr ?

Can someone write a song for me? I have the tittle of the song but but cant write. [ 1 Answers ]

I really don't know what to pen down on a tittle of my song.

I want to write a song [ 165 Answers ]

Heyy Can any one help me write a song I want to write one for my mom but I'm not very good please help me Sam Xx:confused:

View more questions Search