Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Warprinse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Healing ankle sprain, suddenly can't stand without pain. Do I need a doctor?
    Greetings,

My name is Logan. Thank you for taking time to help me. I'm Male, 29 years old.

Back story:
    Saturday of Easter weekend I sprained my ankle bad. I did not go to the hospital. I've had a few people look at it, two of whom were from a firetruck shortly after the accident.

It took a few days for the bruising to start showing. I have been treating it with Arnicare, keeping my foot elevated, and was icing it the first few days. I got crutches and a walking boot.

Almost all, if not all, of the swelling has gone down. The bruising has faded, but is still there. I can put more weight on my foot, but I still need crutches.

Monday I went back to work. I'm a tutor. I sit most of the time with my foot down.

Three days ago the calf of my hurt leg was a little sore. I gave myself a massage. Each day it seemed to get a little more sore.

Today:
    I can't seem to stand for very long. I stand up, put my weight on my good leg like I have been doing. It's fine for about one minute. Then a dull pain, like a muscle cramp that is just starting, forms in my calf. The pain is a little more than half way up my calf. The pain slowly builds until I start making funny faces, my breathing becomes labored, and I start to get slightly light headed. As soon as I sit and put my foot up the pain goes away.

Should I be concerned? Should I see a doctor? I can't really afford one at the moment.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
    So what do you really think? If it was seeming to get better but now it is not, I'm guessing you should probably see a doctor.

Apr 25, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    So what do you really think? If it was seeming to get better but now it is not, I'm guessing you should probably see a doctor.
    I don't know if this is an indicator of my sprain getting worse or my leg getting used to a new walking style or my leg being upset at its drastically reduced use.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 07:10 PM
    Sounds like you actually broke your ankle and it is trying to heal in an unnatural position. Time for the ER and some x-rays.

Apr 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Interesting development.

I decided I wanted to try doing some chin ups as I have not had much exercise today. I did a couple then noticed that my leg didn't hurt that much. It stayed a slight dull pain and didn't get worse. I think I just needed to get my heart rate up.

I'll give it a day or so of being nice to it, but working out a bit and see if it gets better.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Yes you should be concerned. Sprained ankles should be on the mend at this point. Don't wait for it to get better. Go to the doctor. Best case it is still just a sprain and you keep off it for a little bit. Worst case is the ankle is BROKEN. Given the month in the mean time, you're ankle has awkwardly healed and, if it was broken, will likely need to be rebroken so that it can be set properly and heal right.

There is a lot going on here and it doesn't sound like a simple sprain. Go to a doctor at your early convenience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you sprain your ankle easily? [ 14 Answers ]

I really need to know! I am doing a stupid science project and I have to know 30 "reasonable" ways to sprain your ankle. Help fast!!

How do you sprain your ankle easily? [ 27 Answers ]

I am writing a story and I was wondering if there was a way to sprain your ankle easily. I've never sprained my ankle before and I need a simple, realistic way to sprain an ankle. My character is a teenage girl living in the 1800's.

How do you sprain your ankle? [ 7 Answers ]

How do you sprain an ankle without it hurting? I want it to be what could happen easily within something everyone does everyday. Explain how it works. THANKS AND RESPOND QUICKLY

Did I break my ankle or did I just sprain my ankle? [ 19 Answers ]

At my school we went on a field trip to clean up a giant nature park ( it's an small island) long story short I triped on a rock (super smooth I know) and I heard a little crack or a pop I could really tell but then my ankle got kind of swollen and it hurt to walk so I had to use one of my friends...

View more questions Search