Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ewoosward Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 05:29 PM
    2003 Honda civic ex overheat
    I have an 03 Honda civic with 200k miles on it, it's my daily driver mostly city driving and I started noticing that the temperature gauge will randomly start to go up saying its overheating but once I turn the heat on in my car it lowers the temperature and then it stays normal
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Make sure the system is properly bled. This is a common problem with air in the system.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Read your Owner's Manual on how to properly fill the cooling system, in order to prevent air from forming in the system. For instance, you may need to set the heat slide to maximum heat and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II) to open the heater control valve. This will force any air trapped in the heater core out. Failure to do this properly can blow the head gasket and result in coolant being blown out.

My gut is you need to replace the radiator and properly refill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of the proper antifreeze and distilled water. Phosphate scale may be currently blocking passages in the radiator.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
    If you haven't touched the cooling system lately and bled the system incorrectly, then you could be facing a bad thermostat, bad cooling fans, crap in the radiator, bad head gasket, or a coolant leak that has allowed your coolant level to get low.

Check your coolant level and go from there.
    Ewoosward Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Thank you very much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1987 honda civic sensor overheat? [ 1 Answers ]

The temperature gauge shows over heating... up to the red zone. I replaced the thermostat and did a radiator flush, also checked the water pump but it seamed fine. I have the fan hooked up to a toggle switch and it is always on. This happens in town and also on the highway. Sometimes it doesn't...

Honda civic lx 2003 18hp [ 0 Answers ]

I bought a used honda civic 2003 LX I need to know its specs.

Honda Civic Overheat [ 1 Answers ]

Did you mean I could damage my engine so quick? Because I was driving a little but temperature on some point was coming to the normal level. How can I say if engine been damaged?

2003 Honda Civic EX [ 3 Answers ]

My honda started heating up on my way back from work yesterday. Thought it might be my thermostat, but it turns out the antifreeze is leaking into the transmission. Has anyone heard of this happening? What am I looking at in repairs? The honda has 64000 mi. (I purchased it new) on it, I really...

Honda Civic 2003 EX [ 6 Answers ]

My turn signal/hazards will not work. I have already checked the fuse, it is not blown. I also put another fuse in there to double check, it did not work. What can I do to fix this problem? I do not have time to take it into the shop. I am leaving tomorrow on a road trip out of town. Perfect...

View more questions Search