Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1custer9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
    x = 40% times 56
    a store adds 40% to a sale item. How can you find the origi
    nal price (minus the 40 %) from the total sale price.

example: 10 + 40% = 14, but 14 - 40% does not equal 10?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
    Here's how to derive the equation to use: Given initial price P, price increase of i and a final price of F, you have

using your example: P = $10, i = 40%, and F = $10(1+0.4) = $140.

Now let's take that equation and make P the subject by dividing both sides by (1+i):

This is the equation to use. So again, using your example: $140/(1+0.4) = $10.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I rolled a dice 1000 times, how many times can I expect to roll an odd number? [ 1 Answers ]

If I rolled a dice 1000 times, how many times can I expect to roll an odd number?

8 week old boxer urinates and doesn't go at times but other times its OK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Kstar, you can probably start at this website and network from there if you have to, but at least it is a starting point for you: Firstworldwar.cloudworth.com/national-WWI-museum.php

1997 subaru legacy gt automatic idles high at times and low at times. [ 1 Answers ]

1997 legacy gt will idle high and take off like a rocket and at times idle low and be very sluggish taking off. Any suggestions?

I had sex 4 times after first 1,2and 4 times I was bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

I had sex 4 times... after first 1,2and 4 times I was bleeding... but after 3rd I was not... then I checked... result is positive... 3rd sex was held on 25 march and on 27 march was my periods... and my boyfriend also used condom... on 11 may I took unwanted kit tablets... I'm feeling lots of...

View more questions Search