Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patm8128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Too big?
    I'm doing a remodel and there is a existing 6-2 wire that is not used. Can I use that as the feed for a 20amp branch circuit?
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Apr 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
    12-2 should be plenty. I'd replace the big wire if its easily accessible. Be careful making a connection to this big wire to your device and you'll be okay if its copper.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Using a #6 AWG conductor for a 20 Amp circuit can be done, but it is folly to do so. #6 AWG is listed for a 60 amp circuit #12/2 w/ground is listed for a 20 Amp circuit.

#6 AWG conductors are extremely difficult to work with because of the stiffness of the conductor. Also, you would have to splice #12 AWG conductors to it on both ends of the cable to be able to attach it to anything. Unless of course you are trying to drive the 20 amps 200 feet.

Replace the cable!

Apr 27, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Using a #6 AWG conductor for a 20 Amp circuit can be done, but it is folly to do so. #6 AWG is listed for a 60 amp circuit #12/2 w/ground is listed for a 20 Amp circuit.

#6 AWG conductors are extremely difficult to work with because of the stiffness of the conductor. Also, you would have to splice #12 AWG conductors to it on both ends of the cable to be able to attach it to anything. Unless of course you are trying to drive the 20 amps 200 feet.

Replace the cable!
    Replacing the #6 AWG is not a option.

Apr 27, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Replacing the #6 AWG wire is not a option.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
    ... then shouldn't your question be, "how do I use it...."
    Splice on pieces of #12 on each end and make sure the circuit breaker is 20 amperes or less... It's somewhat unusual but it is legal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My athletes foot is so bad big on my big toe. I can hardly bend it. [ 1 Answers ]

It is so bad that it causes extreme pain when I bend it and when it's just stationary too. I can't step into it. I have to walk on my heel at all times. What should I do? No over the counter meds are working.

How much do girls draw to physical attraction? Will big muscles give you a big + ? [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a normal 18 year old boy who does strength trainig 4 times a week. Not anything seriously for now, but I planned to start bodybuilding , not competetive when I turn 19, very seriously.. how much do physical attraction draw girls? Do they like big muslcles? Not any huge roid muslces , but...

View more questions Search