Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beckyk8138 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Allergies or something else?
    For about a week now With in an hour of getting to work My mouth is completely dry my nose is totally stuffed up Its difficult to swallow And no matter what I do nothing releaves it. The only thing that helps is going outside and with in five minutes it's all cleared up. When I go back in in 15 minutes its back again. Now I have a continual scratchy sore throat. What is this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
    WHat kind of work environment do you work in? Such as munufacturing, warehouse, cubical farm etc... Are other coworkers experiencing the same thing?

Apr 24, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Telemarketing. Computors. No one I've talked to. I've been three since December and it just started. Only at work no where else. Scratchy/sore throat just started past couple days and doesn't go away when I leave.

Apr 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    WHat kind of work enviroment do you work in? Such as munufacturing, warehouse, cubical farm etc.... Are other coworkers experiencing the same thing?
    Telemarketing. Computors. Been there since December. No one else I know of. Sore/scratchy throat only last couple days and that didn't go away when I left.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Might be an allergy to dust... or dry air... both of which you will have in that sort of environment. Probibly have carpeted floors as well... lots of stuff that can collect and hold dust. As well as inside and around the computer too... under your desk. table, or work space.

Probibly not an issue with the ducts and air handler or others would likely be having symptoms as well.

I'm assuming it isn't a newly finsihed work area... in a new recent construction...

Apr 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Might be an allergy to dust...or dry air.......both of which you will have in that sort of enviroment. Probibly have carpeted floors as well....lots of stuff that can collect and hold dust. As well as inside and around the computer too...under your desk., table, or work space.

Probibly not an issue with the ducts and air handler or others would likely be having symptoms as well.

I'm assuming it isn't a newly finsihed work area.....in a new recent construction.....
    Not new building, but about 3 weeks ago laid new tile floor, was wood, in entry way. But didn't have a problem when they did it. Its been completed probably 2weeks prior to my symptoms starting. Very difficult to work. Can't talk well since I can't breath or even swallow well.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
    MIght be worth seeing your doctor about this... certainly seems like some sort of allergy to something there. Question is what exactly.

Have you tried any over the counter allergy meds to see if it improved or not?

Do you notice a lot of static electricity? If so it could be excessively dry air... and that will cause all sorts of sinus problems.

Apr 24, 2013, 12:29 PM
    MIght be worth seeing your doctor about this.....certainly seems like some sort of allergy to something there. Question is what exactly.o
    Nothing yet. I'm so stuffy and dry, wouldn't know what to take! Doesn't make sense to me that inside nothing helps, but within a couple of minutes being outside I'm completely better. And can't take breaks every half hour so I can breath. But so hard to talk constantly also.
    Have you tried any over the counter allergy meds to see if it improved or not?
    Nothing yet.I'm so stuffy and dry I'm not sure what to take. Doesn't make sense to me that inside nothing helps, but within a couple minutes of being outside I'm fine. Can't take breaks every half hour. But hard to constantly talk on phone when I can't breath. . Ugh
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Personally... I'd recommend going to an Allergist... they specialize in allergies and treatments... they can run tests to find what you are allergic to, and prescribe medication to help

Apr 24, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Personally...I'd recomend going to an Allergist.....they specialize in allergies and treatments...they can run tests to find what you are allergic to, and prescribe medication to help
    That sounds wonderful, but with no insurance thiswont happen. So, how about an OTC suggestion?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyk8138 View Post
    That sounds wonderful, but with no insurance thiswont happen. So, how about an OTC suggestion??
    Go to a pharmacy window or call a drugstore and ask this of a pharmacist.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
    That sounds wonderful, but with no insurance thiswont happen. So, how about an OTC suggestion??
    Ask the pharmacist what they recommend for an OTC, or perhaps someone else can vouch for something... Luckily I don't suffer from allergies myself so I can't make a personal recommendation.

Apr 24, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Ask the pharmacist what they recommend for an OTC, or perhaps someone else can vouch for something.....Luckily I don't suffer from allergies myself so I can't make a personal recommendation.
    Either do I. Until now I guess. Thanks though. The swallowing thong reallly bothered me. The rest was baffling!
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 02:28 PM
    Either do I. Until now I guess. Thanks tho. The swallowing thong reallly bothered me. The rest was baffling!
    Allergies can come and go... as far as swallowing thongs... might be an occupational hazard if you deal with old strip joints... work overhead and don't wear a mask... ;-)

Apr 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Allergies can come and go......as far as swallowing thongs...might be an occupational hazard if you deal with old strip joints.....work overhead and don't wear a mask....;-)
    Oops! Meant the swallowing thing!! Damn auto correct!! The inability to swallow is totally new! Never had such a serious affliction!
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Oops! Meant the swallowing thing!!! Damn auto correct!!! The inability to swallow is totally new! Never had such a serious affliction! !
    Not being able to swallow is something you should not ignore... seriously. Is that new or have you had that all along?

That's one of the symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock

If you start having problems breathing as well.. getting hives or something else as well consider getting to a doctor ASAP.

Anaphylaxis and Anaphylactic Shock: Symptoms and Common Triggers

Apr 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Not being able to swallow is something you should not ignore...seriously. Is that new or have you had that all along?

That's one of the symptoms of iAnaphylactic Shock

If you start having problems breathing as well..getting hives or something else as well consider getting to a doctor ASAP.

I think initially I had included that as one of my symptoms while I am there. I go to answer a call, go to clear my throat before, and can not swallow

Apr 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Not being able to swallow is something you should not ignore...seriously. Is that new or have you had that all along?

That's one of the symptoms of iAnaphylactic Shock

If you start having problems breathing as well..getting hives or something else as well consider getting to a doctor ASAP.

I think initially I had included that as one of my symptoms while I am there. I go to answer a call, go to clear my throat before, and can not swallow
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Read up on the symptoms of that... and if you see any more you didn't have.. or if the throat tightness gets worse... and particularly if you have trouble breathing at all... then call 911...

If that does happen... it might come on fast. Or it might happen slow. I had that happen once... and it went from no symptoms to where my entire body swelled up and my throat was beginning to close within 15 minutes... A neighbor who was a RN recognized the symptoms and had us get in the car and drive to the closest Dr's office because th hospital was too far. We barely got there in time... if we had called an ambulance its unlikely they would have gotten to me in time.

Any itchiness anywhere that's not typical? You might NOT have that ready to happen... but then you do have more than one symptom of an allergy to something... and that makes it possible for such a reaction to happen.

So I'm a bit hypersensitive of such situations.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 08:09 PM
    Read up on the symptoms of that...and if you see any more you didn't have..or if the throat tightness gets worse...and particularly if you have trouble breathing at all....then call 911.....

If that does happen...it might come on fast. or it might happen slow. I had that happen once....and it went from no symptoms to where my entire body swelled up and my throat was beginning to close within 15 minutes....A neighbor who was a RN recognized the symptoms and had us get in the car and drive to the closest Dr's office because th hospital was too far. We barely got there in time.....if we had called an ambulance its unlikely they would have gotten to me in time.

Any itchiness anywhere thats not typical? You might NOT have that ready to happen....but then you do have more than one symptom of an allergy to something....and that makes it possible for such a reaction to happen.

So I'm a bit hypersensitive of such situations.
    I totally agree! I have severe peanut allergies and I carry an Auvi-Q (Epi-Pen). Hives, swelling, itchiness, trouble breathing, etc. should never be ignored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allergies [ 1 Answers ]

I have allergies so Im normally stuffed up and sucking from my nose to spit out all the mucus. Today I felt like I had to clear my throat an nose like normal but when I spit out the mucus there was like a small ball of blood looking substance in the middle of the saliva. I am very worried of what...

I have allergies [ 4 Answers ]

I have allergies to animal fur/hair/dander. We already have a 5 yer old cat and wish to adopt a small dog Any insight into what type of dog due to 1) allergies and 2) to be compatible with our cat?

Allergies - again [ 4 Answers ]

My GSD is having a terrible problem with allergies (again). I have changed her diet (now she's on venison and rice), which is making her even more miserable. She wants her kibble and dog food and chicken back! The Vet has placed her back on steroids and I see her personality changing before my...

Allergies? [ 3 Answers ]

I know when you have a piercing infection you have to keep the ring on and clean it more and press it with hot water , but what if its not a infection but it's a allergic reaction to the jewellery what are you supposed to do ?

View more questions Search