Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Big_John Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Privacy and home addresses
    Just today my wife received an email from the headquarters of her work. It was asking her to write her congressman about upcoming legislation, but that's another story. Attached to her email were 2 files, one a "form letter" for her congressmen and the other was an excel file that had every employee's name, the address of the proper congressman AND... every (400+) employees' home addresses, including ours.

I'm really alarmed that they would do this. To me, this is information that I would prefer that her fellow employees did not have.

Is there any law covering this? My concerns are identity theft and more importantly, her personal safety.

Thanks in Advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 06:20 PM
    It merely had your mailing address, did it have your social security number ? The phone book has everyone's name, address and phone number, it is not any info that would allow a ID theft.

Most of the companies I have worked for had employee books that listed all the employees, and their addressed ( no phone numbers)

So I see nothing done wrong or any violation of anything.

Now the actual request for you to do some political action, may itself be an issue, but not the list of names.
    Big_John Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 06:40 PM
    No SS#, thank God.

Its funny that you say that most of the places you worked for listing addresses, all the places I ever worked for, including my own business, keeps personal info tightly under wraps.

She's had a couple minor "issues" in the past with a couple creeps that worked there coming on to her. The boss squelched it fast, but still... she feels really uncomfortable that her address is now available to them.

As far as the political action... that's another deal that stinks. They are telling everyone in the company to fill out these form letters and mail them back to company headquarters so the company can forward them to the employee's congressmen. It is pretty much saying "we expect you to do this". I don't care for that myself.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Adresses are public information and very easy to find as Chuck said in phone books, or even online. I don't think they did anything illegal.

However telling the employees what political views to have and then making it seem like they will get in trouble for not agreeing isn't right. If she doesn't fill out the form and faces reprecussions then you would have a case against them to sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Privacy Concerns [ 7 Answers ]

When I log into Amazon.com, my Adobe 4.0 reader briefly starts up, then goes away. Should I be concerned? I use Zone Alarm free firewall and have run Adaware, SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster and HijackThis (all thanks to advice here). Also, for some reason I get pop-ups targeted to my locale,...

Personal Data Privacy [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that some personal data collectors have my name associated with a couple of other people with whom I share my last name. As a result, I keep on getting calls from collectors looking for these other two people. One of these personal data collectors has an Internet site and, indeed, if...

Privacy [ 3 Answers ]

Renters rights in regards to landlord & real estate people going into home

School privacy [ 4 Answers ]

My son attends the public school in our town, He has many problems including adhd. I belong to a volunteer agency in my towm. Today I found ou that my son was the topic yesterday at a function of this volunteer agency. A family member of one of our volunteers is employed by the school. She...

Seeing IP addresses [ 5 Answers ]

Man I would love to have the ability to see IPs in every post for just a week. That way we'd know who has several monikers and how they use them. That would settle a few pet theories I have.

View more questions Search