Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggys123 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Atm deposit
    Deposit is made at an ATM. What is procedure? Deposit is in bank ATM what happens next? Who opens deposits and is it done in a room with camera(s) or do more than one person open deposits?

>Threads have been merged to keep all information regarding this subject in one place.<
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 08:35 AM
    I'm sure the procedure varies - in my area my bank (and I can't address other banks) has two employees open the machine, the "money" box is removed and taken into a back room, the contents are inventoried by two employees and there are cameras.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2013, 08:56 AM
    My knowledge echoes Judy's. However, I would not recommend making deposits into a "foreign" ATM. Withdrawals are OK

Apr 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
    Thanks for answers. I am just trying to figure if the deposits are under camera and if so would the cameras show what was in the deposit envelope when opened. If a customers says they made a cash deposit would it show amount on camera? Amount being counted? Would camera show if it was an empty envelope or what was in envelope?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:34 PM
    A camera would record what it was pointed at - an empty envelope, something else.

Apr 24, 2013, 05:59 PM
    I'm curious, why do you ask?

Apr 25, 2013, 06:32 AM
    A person was charged with making a deposit and was prosecuted without that video. The prosecutor did have a video of person at atm.NO video of what was in envelope or if it was a blank envelope or if cash. Envelope was disposed of by bank and person was convicted of fraud without that video of who opened envelope or envelope being opened. No testifying by any bank employee that they opened that envelope or of what was in envelope.. I was thinking if envelope was accepted at atm and then someone had to open that envelope(was a very thick envelope) I would think that deposit being opened would be the video that should have been shown. Instead a video of person at atm which showed nothing but his face. That video at atm convicted person. A video that showed nothing but person standing at atm pushing buttons getting receipt.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Someone was found guilty of making an ATM deposit, no more, no less, no other explanation?

That makes no sense to me.

Apr 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Thank you for explaining. What is your relationship to this person. Was this person represented by counsel?

To convict someone of bank fraud, without a) the testimony of the bank employees (both of them) or b) video evidence of opening the envelope doesn't make sense. I can't believe a prosecutor would prosecute such a case nor a judge or jury convict.

So I suspect there is more to this story then you are telling us or are being told.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
    What? I have no idea what you said - there are ATMs for deposits only?

Apr 27, 2013, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tassha View Post
    There are special atms for such purpose they are directly accepting money and credit to your account , anyone can deposit in your accunt without going to bank great deal of task indeed.
    Where is this and what bank? I have never heard of an ATM specifically for deposits. I do know that many banks have night deposit slots for customers, but generally these date back to the days before ATMs and do not credit your account until the deposits are processed, under similar procedures.

But I still think there is more to this story. I still have a great deal of doubt that someone would be convicted of bank fraud, without much greater proof.

Apr 27, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Thank you for explaining. What is your relationship to this person. Was this person represented by counsel?

To convict someone of bank fraud, without a) the testimony of the bank employees (both of them) or b) video evidence of opening the envelope doesn't make sense. I can't believe a prosecutor would prosecute such a case nor a judge or jury convict.

So I suspect there is more to this story then you are telling us or are being told.
    Here is what I saw at this trial. This was a Jury trial.

Two banks were involved Bank A&B. Deposit was made at bank A and Bank B said they did not get the deposit. Neither of the banks prosecuted. The State's Atty prosecuted the case, the victim is bank B. States atty subpoenas 2 witnesses. One witness was from bank A and he was an executive from bank A. This executive said that this was brought to his attention. Then the executive was shown the video of person making deposit at ATM. Executive basically confirmed that person was making deposit at his atm. I am not sure why the executive testified instead of the actual person or persons who handled deposit and why no video of deposit envelope or of envelope being opened in front of camera or witnesses who actually handled deposit.

Next witness subpoena was of a police officer of where bank A is located. Police officer also viewed video of the person making deposit and confirmed this was the video. Police officer said he was dispatched to bank A. Police officer did not say that he viewed a video or that he spoke to witnesses who opened the envelope.Justthe video at atm. Again person shown at atm and only thing showing at atm video was persons face. Persons face was not covered no sunglasses no baseball cap nothing. Just a clear picture of persons face. The person at atm is not shown making the deposit. That part was not visible on video. The persons face and the persons hand pushing keys on keypad and you can see where person reaches into his back pocket at least that is what it looks like. The person completes transaction and gets his receipt and comes back immediately because forgot his card and removes card.

This video was the main piece of evidence that states atty used.

Next witness was a bank employee from bank B. Basically what employee from bank B explained was transactions he made(purchases) and I believe said he withdrew $300.00 cash. Next witness was from police officer arresting officer who is from where bank B is located. Officer says he investigated case and he also said that when he called bank to check on defendants account they bank B said he still had a positive balance of around $800.00 (I think that is amount not exact but was $800.00 plus)

I am not sure why the defendant was convicted. What I basically saw on the video that was shown was a person at ATM. The video does not show the person making or not making deposit because that part was not visible on video(when the states atty went to play video he could not. States atty had to go out into the hall and get the arresting police officer to play the video because the computer being used was the police officers personal computer. He was only one who knew how to play video. (USELESS VIDEO)

So video does not show if deposit was or was not made. No witnesses opening envelope no video showing empty envelope.. The public defender did ask(bank executive)where envelope was and I believe bank Executive said it was disposed of. So when I hear that testimony from bank A executive it is obvious that a deposit was made. Just no proof of what was in envelope or if empty envelope because no witnesses opening and no video. If envelope was disposed of then someth was in atm Bin.

I really do not know word for word what happened at trial. I am thinking they are saying no deposit was made and I am thinking that is reason person at atm is shown only in a close up so that person CAN NOT be seen making deposit. Video shows where person made movement to get deposit from back pocket and bend to insert into atm. What is really strange is that a jury of 12 convicted without a reasonable doubt. Something not right. I even saw the arresting police officer come out of where the jurors were deliberating.

The way I see it now is if anyone makes a deposit at atm and deposit is lost or misplaced or even taken. Then that person should be found guilty and convicted.

Apr 28, 2013, 04:07 AM
    And you were at the entire trial from start to finish? Even a barely competent legal aid attorney should have been able to get this defendant off based on what you have said.

You still haven't answered why or how you are involved.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
    I'm an investigator - something is missing from this scenario which, incidentally, contains a lot of speculation.

Something isn't reading right to me.

Apr 28, 2013, 08:43 AM
    Yes. Looked like a set up to me. That is why I am seeking information on how a atm deposit is handled. I just can not see what jurors saw that I did not see at trial. Jurors even asked to see video again before finding defendant guilty. Later a motion for a new trial was filed and Judge denied and I believe he said 12 jurors found him guilty motion denied (not sure on his exact words on his comment) either way denied
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2013, 09:47 AM
    You have to be coming from one side or the other - what is your interest in this?

Apr 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Just keep thinking about how this can happen. How someone can be found guilty this way. How person was denied new trial.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
    As long as you keep asking questions instead of answering them you will never know.

Apr 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    As long as you keep asking questions instead of answering them you will never know.

Answer what?
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2013, 03:22 PM
    For starters - "You still haven't answered why or how you are involved."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

ATM card use in the US [ 4 Answers ]

I have used my international ATM card from UOB Singapore in several different countries but cannot find an ATM in America that will take it. Does anyone know of a bank that will?

ATM malfunction [ 5 Answers ]

I went to the ATM put in my card pressed all of the buttons required for 300£ waited for at east five minutes for the money none came out,looked on my online account and find that they have taen 300£ out of my account,I phone up same day they said wait till the Monday,waited still no money in...

Zillionz atm help [ 1 Answers ]

My zillionz ATM won't take bills!if you have a solution please tell me! Thanks!

Atm Card [ 1 Answers ]

I received an sms that if a thief makes you withdraw money at ATM, at gun point. The Pin No should be typed reversly For e.g.. 1234 shall enter as 4321. If it is done so it will alert the police. How far the message is true. How does it works.

Atm fraud [ 15 Answers ]

Can anyone give me any advise on how to find out what atm some one used my bank card o... I called the bank but they only gave me a street... SINCE EVERY ATM HAS A CAMERA I WANT TO SEE WHO USED IT... just in case its an emplyoee where I lost the card

View more questions Search