Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoushou Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2013, 07:33 PM
    1 Calculus Question? Help?
    The flight path of a spacecraft is represented by the parabola y = x^2. If the engine is shut down at the point P (a, a^2), the spaceship will fly off along the tangent line at P. If the spaceship is moving from left to right, at what point should the engine be shut down in order for the spacecraft to move through point (4, 7)?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 09:06 AM
    Hint: you need to set up an equation for the slope of the straight line that passes through points (a,a^2) and (4,7), and set it equal to the slope of the parabola at point a, then solve for a. Post back with what you get for an answer, or if you're stuck show us your work and we'll give a pointer or two.
    shoushou Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Thank You! Got it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question About Calculus.. [ 1 Answers ]

Derive the Standard Equation of Parabola with vertex at (h,k): (y-k)^2 = 4a(x-h) Please derive it with diagram.

Question About Calculus.. [ 1 Answers ]

I attach the following Math Pdf File. Please Open it and Solve it. Please Solve it as soon as possible. Thanks too much.

Calculus and vectors Question? [ 1 Answers ]

Maximizing Profits: A construction company has been offered a contract for $7.8 million to construct and operate a trucking route for five years to transport ore from a mine site to a smelter. The smelter is located on a major highway and mine is 3 km into a heavily forested area off the road....

Pre-Calculus Question [ 2 Answers ]

Solve the following for 0 ≤ x ≥2¶ 2sinČ(x)-cos(x)=1

View more questions Search