Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patjohnston Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
    Rectifier
    Hi all,
    Can someone help me with a cicuit diagram for a rectifier. I am doing a little project at home and need a 12v DC supply, I have a 12v transformer so just need it rectified to DC. I made one in school but have forgotten how, I vaguely remember a diamond shape of resistors and needing a capacitor...

Cheers All!!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
    It is called a Wheatstone bridge. You can buy a rectifier at Radio Shack or just get a battery charger for a car. Depending on the current needs, Goodwill has boxes of battery eliminators, many of which are 12VDC at 1 AMP.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Easy to find for a dollar at yard sales(12 volt DC power supply)
    You can make the full wave bridge out of 4 diodes which will convert AC to DC, then an electrolytic capacitor for filtering the ripple.
    Like ma0641 mentions, Radio Shack and other Electronics shops have the 4 diodes in 1 package, and has 4 terminals, 2 are AC in, the other 2 are DC out.
    You can find Rectifiers in most electronics. Canabalize some old electronics and you will likely find one. Follow the Power cord in, through the fuse, then transformer, then to the Rectifier(may be 4 diodes or a bridge).
    Good Luck.

Apr 24, 2013, 07:01 AM
    Wheatstone Bridge ! That's the fella. I was wanting to make it myself so I will go to maplins and see if they have the little kit of the 4 diodes and a cap.

Cheers guys much appreciated!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Don't forget to reduce the voltage first, duh, I'm sure its understood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

Apr 29, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Yeah, figured that Strat, Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No voltage on regulator/rectifier on a Briggs Vanguard OHV 16hp engine [ 11 Answers ]

Just completed an engine swap from a 12.5hp to a Briggs 16 hp Vanguard.Swap went fine but have not hooked up the charging circuit yet.The engine is model 303447 and has two red wires coming off it,1 to ignition and 1 from the rectifier/regulator.My question is why do I not get a voltage reading on...

Rectifier Design [ 0 Answers ]

Purpose of subframe rectifier in HONDA CRV 2006 model [ 1 Answers ]

What is the use of subframe rectifire in HONDA CRV 2006 (its look like a rubber flap) fitted RR side of the FR subframe..

View more questions Search