Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Second parvo shot can it wait?
    So my puppy has had his first shots. This weekend he got injured and it took all my extra money to get him fixed. His second Parvo shot is supposed to be today. Will it hurt him if I make him wait an extra two weeks or will that null and void the first shot?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 02:44 PM
    It only takes one shot at the right time to protect a puppy from parvo. So why 3-4? It is easier to give a shot that tell if the time is right. A shot won't take until immunity from the mother wears off. What the puppy needs is one shot between when the immunity wears off and 2 weeks before it is exposed to parvo. Best thing is to keep it away from anyplace frequented by unknown dogs.

For a more complete and authoritative explanation see Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about I trust the AVMA's site more than one somebody Googles up. Tons of sites out there with advice ranging from useless to dangerous.
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
    So does this mean the shot won't keep it from being infected at some point? I thought the sequence of three was to create an immunity to it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Its not about multiple shots, just hoping to hit the right window with a shot before the puppy is exposed to parvo at the wrong window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parvo [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone had a dog with parvo... my new basset hound puppy has it we just found out today the breeder say that she didn't get it from there but we have only had the dog for 8 days and well she got sick on Saturday night. Also I have 2 other dogs at the house that aren't sick with parvo and one...

To wait or not to wait, *confused* [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings. I hope to get some feedback and advice on the following situation. I met this girl through my room mate's brother over the summer. This girl was his rebound after he's GF left him. As the summer progressed, my room mate's brother got back with his ex after she wanting him back. ...

Parvo [ 5 Answers ]

My puppy recently died from parvo, I buried her in the back yard. I was told the parvo will never go away, how can I get rid of the Parvo? How long should I wait to get another puppy?

After parvo 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Last night was the first night of barney in the house (after being in the hospital for 4 days), during the night he kept having diahrrea and vomiting(after drinking water and pediliate), his poop was brown like chocolate, we don't know if it was from the pediliate that is a grape flavor and...

After parvo [ 1 Answers ]

My dog was diagnosted with parvo last Friday (6 days ago), he stayed in the clinic for 4 days, the vet was giving him IV, and some kind of antibiotic, I went to pick him up today(wednesday) he hadn't thrown up since Monday morning, when we were coming from the vet he threw up a little bit, and then...

View more questions Search